CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Weird Catches Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, that's what i'm talking about. I belive their called taripans, the brackish water turtle that lives at the mouth of CT River.

Not in the river, but at Rocky Neck a few years ago I landed a 42" that had an 8 inch lobster in her gut!!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snagged a 160-170lb. idiot that managed to go over the rail at our Bluefish Bash on the Sunbeam. We were in the Race on a pretty sporty afternoon, and the boat was drifting over him. I was able to reach him with my rod tip and pull him down the rail from the bow to mid-ship where we could retrieve him. I didn't even get the pool!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
anointed130

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you definitely have one of the weirdest catches RNA.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Riverrat

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a couple of very strange catches that I can share.

About 5 years ago fishing for pike in the CT river, I hooked into what felt like a nice pike. Fought for about 10 mins and got it to the side of the boat to find a 4 ft Sand Shark.

My favorite was in the Gulf of Mexico fishing for Yellowfin Tuna. Hooked into a decent fish that (as they usually do) headed straight for the bottom. Once his run stopped I noticed that if felt very, VERY heavy, but not like it was fighting too much. After about an hour of fighting to bring my catch up from 200 yards, I found that I had caught a 40 lb yellowfin tuna… and a 16ft canoe. To this day my fishing friends never let me live that down. Every time I hook up with something that feels big, they start in with the damned canoe story.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canoe is good. That beats a 5 gallon bucket any day of the week.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverrat wrote:
I’ve got a couple of very strange catches that I can share.

About 5 years ago fishing for pike in the CT river, I hooked into what felt like a nice pike. Fought for about 10 mins and got it to the side of the boat to find a 4 ft Sand Shark.

My favorite was in the Gulf of Mexico fishing for Yellowfin Tuna. Hooked into a decent fish that (as they usually do) headed straight for the bottom. Once his run stopped I noticed that if felt very, VERY heavy, but not like it was fighting too much. After about an hour of fighting to bring my catch up from 200 yards, I found that I had caught a 40 lb yellowfin tuna… and a 16ft canoe. To this day my fishing friends never let me live that down. Every time I hook up with something that feels big, they start in with the damned canoe story.

Where abouts on the CT river did you catch that sand shark? Hope that canoe was still in good shape... Nice grab!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an awfully long time ago, but I'm thinking it was somewhere around the Goodspeed Opera House.
SheltonTom

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing for blackfish in the Great South Bay, Long Island's South Shore, with my father when I was about 20. He caught a sea robin or two. I caught a boat anchor. To this day I tease him, and he teases me, about it. Truth be told, the anchor was worth more than any fish we caught that season.
camojammin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was catfishing the CT river in tylerfille a few years back and hooked into a tigershark... the jet ski, not the fish... he lost control and fell off and floated over my line and i pulled in the pwc... it was cool and the guy bought me a case a beer for helping him get it back to his truck
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therieldeal wrote:
Not in CT, but I snagged a good sized lobster once while jigging the cape cod canal...

Also landed the biggest snapping turtle I've ever seen using 6 lb test line, snagged him in the leg with a phoebe spoon while fishing for trout in a small local river. Took almost half an hour to land... safely unhooked, lure retrieved.... plus two more lures he had stuck to him!

I witnesses a good ole lobster snagging last weekend there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was crappie fishing in holebrook pond last weekend, catching some decent fish, then the sunnys took over, while i was pulling in a small sunny, my ultrlight loaded up and doubled over and the drag started screaming, mind you i have 4lb FC on it, after 18 mins, turned out to be a 7lb Largie, swallowed the sunny (could still see the tail) and barley snagged my 1" rapala
RobO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: old rod Reply with quote

I did not catch this but the guy next to me did while Jigging for bass and blues on the Mijoy last summer.

The guy thought he had a big "fish on" and when the mate went to net it he started cracking up. It was a rod and reel that someone must have lost overboard. It was starting to grow coral.

I also saw a guy reel in an entire old wooden window frame with the 5lb lead sash still in it on the Helcat this year while fishing for bass/blues in the Greenport area.

The mates kept the sash to melt down for more bank sinkers.

Last edited by RobO on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SimplyG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year me and a friend were fishing Eagleville, at about dusk. I cast and before my lure hits the water a bat flew into/tried to eat my lure. It went into the water with the lure so I tried to reel it in fast so I could save the bat. It wasn't even hooked just wrapped itself in my line but within 10' of land it wiggled itself free and right back into the water. Watched it flap around for a few second and proceeded to sink as it went down river. I can only assume it drowned as it didn't come back up within my sight range.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what in the world is that robo looks like a spine and pelvis. I really hope it's not.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
RobO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a rod and reel that someone must have lost overboard. It was starting to grow coral. The mate scraped away some of the coral to see if it was one of the Helcat's rods, but it wasn't.

Make you wonder how it went overboard..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: