CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: 1979 Mercury 50HP, Lost...to say the least
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCUBAshep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: 1979 Mercury 50HP, Lost...to say the least Reply with quote

So I had my motor running late July, then had to park it until a few weeks ago do to pregnancy/baby. I went and got it and brought it back to the house to get it winterized. Was attempting to start it back up, when sparks started shooting from the connection on the battery. This has never happened before. One of my buddies said it could be a ground, don't even know where to start since I am new to the boat scene and there are so many wires back there. I feel that if I were to work on this myself I would only make the problem worse. The battery is brand new(doubtful it is bad). So I'm looking for any insight as to a good priced motor mechanic near groton OR if someone on here is a motor mechanic and lives near Groton, and has some free time and is looking for some extra cash. I know this has to be simple for someone who knows anything about motors. It was sitting in a field for almost 2 years, and a buddy of mine with what I would say had an intermediate level of understanding was able to get it running after it not running in that long. I just have never had any experience with this, so I don't understand the motor.(I'm trying to but like I said, I don't want to make the problem worse). Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you for your time. Lucas
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electric start I would guess ....couple things I would look at
1) see if motor is sezed up... can you use the emergency cord to turn the engine by hand ..not sure how to.... pull the plugs then roate the fly wheel on top by hand if motor moves freely
2)starter may have gone bad clean all conections try again no pugs in motor.
If same issue do a repost we can go from there

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that today, thanks for the response, will post with findings either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering how ya make out on motor?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been a little busy was able to check the connections it looks like the connections are good at least as good as they ever were its hard to tell with that problem since the wiring is all over the place. But to me they looked good. Still haven't been able to check on the emergency pull cord. Might be able to get to it tomorrow though. Thanks for your help so far though, it gives me things to check if it ever goes bad again. Much appreciated. Sparks are still flying from the battery. Which is a little disappointing.
SCUBAshep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys just so you know I haven't forgotten about ya, still haven't been able to get to the motor, life is a little harder with a newborn, you just want to spend all your time with him, haha. It might be some time before I get to it so if too much time goes by, I will just post another thread. Thanks for your help it was much appreciated! Lucas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: