CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: 1st time at maltby lakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder1

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: 1st time at maltby lakes Reply with quote

Heading over to Maltby lakes this weekend for the first time. I have the pass and figured I'd give it a try. I noticed there was 3 lakes anyone have any advice as to which lake I should focus on or would have the most success in? Thanks!
FreshSaltAnyone?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After closing the gate the lake off to your right is "lake 1". I find a lot of pickerel in this lake as opposed to the other two lakes. When you start to bare left before approaching the incline to the parking lot, you will see a path that you can walk to move around lake 1. If you follow this path and continue along the waters edge (area looks like a bulldozer plowed through all the trees) you will see a large flat rock that sits in the water. If your standing on it you will be facing RT 34. I've pulled some fairly decent bass from here on various rigs. Senkos whacky and Texas style have worked best for me.
Onto the parking lot. The lake you see as you approach your preferred parking space(I have a lucky one- or at least that's what my 6 year old thinks) is lake #3. I've had better luck catching decent trout and bass here. Early morning and around 7 pm, has been a good time for my son and I. If you get out of your vehicle and approach the lake you will see a small bridge. Cross it and a little brick bldg is up towards your left. To your right is a 5 step landing area. During the times I mentioned we would catch roughly 5-10 trout ranging from 7-12" with the occasional 12+ by just casting out towards your 10-2 O'clock positions. Sometimes letting the lure drop for a 3count would get them upon retrieval. Other times a nice paced (not to fast) retrieval as soon as lure hits water worked wonders as well. Across the lake also offers some rocks and a small island that have produced decent 3-5lb bass. If you get out of your vehicle and walk towards lake #3 and go to your right, you will come to a Porto potty where you can go left or right. If you go right that will bring you to lake #2(we will get to that later). Go to your left and you will see another brick bldg. if you follow the waters edge to the left of the brick bldg, you will see a very nice fishing spot that is on a point. From here you can also see the trout spot I mentioned before. I've pulled decent bass from here casting rubber worms straight out a bit to my left and letting it drift. Back to that brick bldg. if you follow the waters edge to the right of the brick bldg. there are many spots to cast. Rumor has it that as you come to the top of a 15ft rock ledge, pigs were pulled out of here with a whacky senko. I've never caught a single fish from this spot but my friends have. Also catch Catfish from here.

Lake #2 (my favorite of the 3). A few ways to get to it but I'll bring you back to the parking lot as a starting point. Head towards lake #3. Go to your right and you will see that Porto potty again. Take a right this time and follow trail until you see a massive tree that fell from left to right. This is lake 2. If you go under or over this tree and follow water edge to your left, as it starts to bend back out even further left, great bass location. That's as far as I would venture from this point. If you don't go under or over the tree and stay to your right instead following the waters edge it's pretty shallow here. Keep following the waters edge and you will see a small island that is accessible by walking across the pile of branches strategically placed in the water. This location is decent but not one of my favorites. If you don't tv entire onto the small rock island and continue further down the waters edge you will come to a cement wall/ledge that extends down the waters edge for about 50 yards or so. I've caught a few 10"-12" bass from here but not much bigger than that. Up ahead you will see a brick bldg that is at the end of a short bridge with fencing around it. Water is relatively deep out there and drops drastically from shoreline. I like throwing my line. Out here to the end or just past brick bldg. Decent Bass out there especially later in the season. Further down is another cement ledge making a Damn. I've caught some nice Cats here as well as bass/trout. Very rocky bottom. If you look out across the lake you will see a two rock islands another that is accessible by branches over water. Nice spot for trout and bass. On the other side of the damn opening is a rock mound that has been my go to location for Bass. You can cast out towards the trees and hook up with some lunkers. Also find pickerel in this area.

These lakes are fished pretty hard but they still produce decent fish. They do check permits, especially during the day. Good luck and I hope this will help you catch something that brings you back.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how was Maltby. Just got a pass and plan on going this week.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake one is the most under fished of the three because of the weed beds abs lack of areas to fish from shore.. There are some really nice chunkers in there. If you have the patience (a lot of them) and learn to deal with the weeds you can do quite well. Now that they have cleared the brush around the lake shore fishing will be much easier.

I'd give it a shot. Top water and weed punchers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there yesterday from 4pm-7pm. 3 LMB 12-14" and a healthy 18.5". Nice to see some Perch in the water!! About 10yrs ago I'd catch as many perch as Bass. A lot of pickerel in lake 1. Stay away from the parts of the lake you see at first sight. If you do this and get skunked -either it wasn't meant to be or your doing it wrong! Good luck.

Senkos. Senkos. Senkos. Yesterday all the action I had was on Texas rigged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: