CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: 2 Reels to Compare
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: 2 Reels to Compare Reply with quote

Last year I bought a Shimano FX4000 for lighter saltwater and surf fishing. Within less than a year, the bail started giving me problems. What it does to me now is doesn't flip back fully and sometimes when I set the hook on a fish, the bail opens. Another problem is the drag. Often I have to set it looser than usual in order for a fish to take line.

What I just purchased on Amazon for an extra $10 was a Penn Pursuit 4000. Thought I'd spend an extra $5 - $15 for a better quality reel, esp when it comes to Penn reels.

Once I receive the Penn in the mail, I'm going to start using it so I can compare it to the Shimano.

Who thinks I made the right decision by spending an extra $10 to buy a Penn reel? How would you guys compare a Shimano and a Penn that fall in the same category as for size, line capacity, and target fish?
chud059

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penn make a real good real, I've never had any problems with Shimano reels, the only ones I've used my whole life...(well, except the zebco's when I was a little kid but I think we all started on those) The penns I've seen seem pretty expensive but to you it may be a case of "you get what you pay for". I'm sure the extra $10 is probably a good value for the penn. My father had a penn, he paid a lot of money for it and it looked good but he never let me use it!!! Even when I got older!! I don't know what happened to it though.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shimano costed $29.99 + tax at Walmart. The Penn costed $39.95 with free shipping and no tax on Amazon.
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had shimano all my life. Penn definitely makes a solid reel. I've seen them last years and years - and actually have had 2 passed down to me (afraid to ruin them so I haven't used them lol). I would say you can't go wrong for what you paid. Good choice for sure for what it's worth!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic Penn 5500 is what I've been using for the bigger saltwater fish for years now. Never had any problems with it and always runs true and solid.

As they say, if it's made in America, it has good quality and runs true.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the new Penn Pursuit 4000 out on the Reef and Charles Island Sandbar. Reels nice and smoothly and it doesn't need 1 whole spin for it to lock. Has a smooth drag where you can easily play a fish without having to worry about drag loosening or tightening easily.
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you made the right choice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penns are definately solid reels. I'm still using some of my grandfather's Penn reels that are around 30-40 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: