CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: 5/25 Rhode Island Fluke and Squid Report
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flukeprodigy

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: 5/25 Rhode Island Fluke and Squid Report Reply with quote

Launched out of pt judith on sunday around 11am. Tide was around noon so we fished the drop all day. Started out at Carpenters and picked away at a few shorts. Later on we headed to nebraska shoal and picked up 5 keepers to about 4/5lbs. I did drop a doormat at the boat though which was a heartbreaker. That thing saw the net, threw it in reverse, gave one last violent headshake and spit the hook Mad I'd say it would've gone 7-8lbs easy. The keepers all came in 40ft of water on whole squid and tandem rigs w/ mylar/bucktail teasers.

Around 8pm we hooked up the lights and generator and setup for squid. It wasn't a total bail job but btwn 3 of us we had about 80 or so I suppose. Headed back around midnight and made the drive home

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little report.Doormats seem to spit lots of hooks close to the boat but i guess if they were not crafty we would hear more stories of 8-15 pounders caught.
I lost a doormat at the beach the other day on a crocodile.I am not sure exactly how big he was but he was by far a keeper.Even though the season is still closed here in CT.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally learned what I've been doing wrong to allow these brutes to spit the hook. It happened once last season costing me by FAR the biggest fluke of my life (easy 10lbs +) and then this last time out. My drag was too tight. I keep it tight so I can get the brutes off the bottom but kept forgetting to loosen it up once i got them off bottom. Its no secret when you hook into the doormat sized fluke, that its sometimes like snagging bottom...only with the head shaking and thumping. Once you wench them off bottom, you gotta loosen the hell outta your drag b/c once they see the boat they freak the hell out. If they do and you're not under too much tension, they can peel a little line and dive rather than just head shaking and spitting the hook. I can't take dropping another mat at the boat so I'm gonna make this adjustment and believe it should work

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight lines , high tips and a extra long net.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: