CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: 7-21 - Kings island - Canoe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: 7-21 - Kings island - Canoe Reply with quote

Okay I convinced a not so experienced friend to come out on the CTR with me today in his kayak. Put in just south of the enfield dam fished a few current breaks with maybe 10 fish about 1-1.5lbs between us. Then we went south and did some fishing around kings island, he couldn't keep up with the current and we kept passing some hot spots. He caught a few more and I ended up with the biggest fish of the day, went 3lbs 8oz.. Had to cut the day short since we got caught in the rain, we weren't able to get down river to some of the better spots I was fishing the last few days. Pending thunderstorms were really turning the fish on though, I spooked a few big fish. While we were racing to the take out I saw an absolute monster smallie chasing a smaller one in about 1ft of water. Big girl was about 5lbs and the lil guy looked to be about 6-7 inches, he was shooting 3-4ft out of the water getting chased by a submarine. He got caught and the big girl swam away crushing the lil guy side ways in it's mouth. Pretty crazy to see, I now need some big swimbaits. Oh and we saw an eagle, that was cool .

Water temp - 76 in the shade and up to 90 in the sun
Water depth - fish came out of 2-8ft of water, both slack and fast water
Baits - jigs
Big thing was dropping pressure, that storm came in fast and the the fish were all over. Jig bite took a dive and I didn't have time to switch to cranks before the rain.

And next time I go alone, he almost died entering some rapids sideways. I do not want to turn around and see an empty boat.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Great report Reply with quote

You need to talk to Phish. He has some soft plastic swim baits that are probably exactly what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice outing and report DV.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice informative report DV, I need to get back on some smallies. I can't wait to fish Zoar next month.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thunderstorms like that is the best time to catch trophy fish. I'll never forget the time I fished off the beach in Maine during a thunderstorm similiar to what ripped through Plainville yesterday. Action was so hot I could only fish one rod landed stripers up to my personal biggest of 37 inches of the beach that night. Lightning strikes all over the place haha. Nice job on the river smallies your making me want to try the Farmington river again. I might try this weekend.
steven1smith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish DV. I almost went fishing yesterday thinking that with the oncoming storm it had to be good but a thought came to mind of being in an aluminum boat out in the middle of a water body holding up 7ft lightning rods during a severe thunderstorm... Shocked

In other words, my parents got home way to late drive me anywhere before it hit. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report DV..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report as always...
fishingmaniac12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV- I live right here in enfield and fish kings Island all the time. If your ever looking for someone to go with id be glad to join you. Gotta love those river smallies.
DV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Maniac, Id love to go out sometime. Was going to go again today but the 25mph wind kept me inside.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome looking smallies Derek, nice job!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: