CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: A beach in Westport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: A beach in Westport Reply with quote

I met up with Crest Daddy yesterday and we hit 2 places, one in Fairfield and then in WestPort. We met up around 6:30 Saturday night and fished in Fairfield, Crest Daddy was mainly going for Porgy there and I not really be interested in them just threw out some chunks in hopes something bigger would show up. Fir awhile it was dead to both of us but then the window opened up for him with 4 Porgies and then died as fast it it started up. We moved from there around 11:30 or so to Wewstport bjt sat there for awhile BSing as the we waited for the incoming tide. I brought 2 poles while he brought one. I set up my sand spike which really wasnt working very well as the beach was loaded with rocks so we built a prop up with rocks to help support it and I threw on a chunk to dble my chances of catching a fish. We then proceeded to wade into the water with plugs. It was pretty dead there with a slack tide and very little wind but then Crest daddy hit a bass which woke us back up, a few of his friends showed up right before that also. And Then................. You guys might want to sit down for this one as it kinda hurts!!! All the sudden we hear this big SPLASH followed by a bunch of other splashes. A nice fish (still the fish I havent caught this year) Evil or Very Mad hit my line, I had the baitrunner set up with a very very light drag but I guess it was just enough that the stupid sand spike being propped up couldnt support and the pole fell over knocking the baitrunner clicker off in turn setting the hook and away she went!!!!! There were 4 of us there throwing plugs in every direction to try and snag it but that thing was gone!!!!!! The pole and reel were both about 2 months old! Sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Embarassed So if anyone catches a nice fish with an Okuma Coronado CD80 on a 8' Ugly Stick that would be mine and there would be a reward!!! Bwaaaaa haaaa haaaaa! Didnt catch a fish but had a good time meeting Bill and his friends and have a great story to boot!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's tragic! Better to laugh than cry about it though! Surprised

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still cant believe that fish took off running with your setup. Went through a small rubble zone which i thought would snag the rod then it hit the sand flat. SEE YA ! We walked out as far as we could with the lamps checking the bottom and fan casting but never hooked up Sad That was obviously a 56.5lber !!!
This guy is bad luck for sure!! J/K. Good dude, rose above the tragedy like an angel.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably be ordering a new set up tomorrow after work, Ill run a chain to a tree or bumper next time! LOL

RobO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That totally sucks.

Last year my buddy accidentally casted my spare rod and reel into the water at the DEP docks at night. He went back to cast and the hook grab the spare rod and off she went. too dark to see it in the water. I am sure that someone saw it in the day light and got a great rod and reel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hopefully at least someone will come across it and have a good time instead of it just rotting out there! You never kn ow, maybe they found it, grabbed it and had a good tub on it still and had dinner on me!

Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered you wished on a shooting star for a big fish . Then i asked if we were in range of your rod if you got a hookup and you said something like "we'll catch it going by" jokingly. Then guess what happened.
Be careful what you wish for.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I should have just wished for the winning lottery ticket but didnt want to be greedy! Ordered my new one today and it will be ready tomorrow after work.

perfect hook set

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason I laughed at your tragic lost

I went to westport sunday at 3am fished until around 7 something
Caught fluke sea robin a small SMALL blue.
My buddy also caught a gaffing hook in his foot!
One of the other guys that came with us uses a bait runner and at 4 different times had his line SHOOT out but, was too slow to catch what ever it was

I was warned not to keep my rod pointed at such a vertical angle so that there would be less of a chance to lose my rod.

Now I set my book back against the rod hoping mine wont get lost

To end this post if anyone finds a 10+ year old carp dragging around a fishing pole in danbury plz let me buddy know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to laugh! I got my new set up today so Im good to go again!

JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like losing a rod at some point in your lifetime is an inevitability. Watched my father's rod dragged into the water at 9 years old at winnepaug pond in westerly. found the rod the next day for him with the striper still on it. what luck.
about a month ago, up in buzzard's bay, mass, my buddy came up for the last weekend of my vacation. with all the squid slime still on his hands and being in too much of a rush to get his line back in, he went for a hookset on a nice fish and SPROING!!! there goes his rod and reel. dont ask how, but it happened.
as luck would have it, no more than 2 weeks later, on an outting to the misquamicut beaches for fluke, he snagged up another conventional setup some other poor guy lost. someone upstairs likes this guy.
Ya gotta take the good with the bad. And i think your "good" is coming buddy. So hold onto your rod.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had better be, Ive been getting skunked for way too long! Crying or Very sad

JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. You'll need a hefty angle iron, some pvc pipe, couple bolts, and a hammer.

Grind the end of the angle iron to a point to stick in the ground. Mount the pvc JUST BELOW the end of the angle iron. That way, you can use the hammer to pound it into the sand. Works like hell, you can make your way through small rocks, heavy sand, etc. Won't come out either. I use a 1inch angle iron, your 1/8in thick and about 4ft in length. Can't bend it, and you can pound it a foot into the ground.

Call my crazy, but I wanna make a really long one to surf cast buzzards bay in Mass while i go clamming out in the coves. 2 birds with one stone. Set the bait runner and good to go. Even free bait.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: