CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Active Pattern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Active Pattern Reply with quote

Hit up Mondo Pond Tuesday afternoon with my 5'6" ML setup. Arrived around 3:45pm.

I started off throwing a Heddon Pop'n Image and trying a number of retrieves but nada. Then threw a custom made firetiger wooden dual prop bait but nada. Once I switched over to a brown trout FLR-6 things changed.

3 retrieves I tried doing with the FLR-6 were topwater, steady retrieve, and aggressive subsurface jerking. The jerking was 1 nice jerk every full second.

Nothing would hit or follow the steady retrieve. I had a number of gills peck at the lure on the pause while playing topwater. But whether it be a cookie cutter, school of crappie or gills, or a pickerel waiting for a meal, they were going crazy for the jerking retrieve.

As I made my way around the main pond and also hit certain spots at the smaller pond, I'd occasionally run into a school of crappie near shore, pickerel in the weeds, and school of bluegills. Bass weren't as active.

Total all with the FLR-6 while doing the jerking retrieve was 8 crappie up to 9", 4 gills from a 3.5" female to chunky 8" male, 14" 1 1/2 pound cookie cutter, and 4 pickerel up to a 17" 1 1/2 pounder. Lost a number of crappie and pickerel. Right as I set the hook on the 9" crappie it did a big 4 footer! I had tons of crappie shooting right up for the FLR-6 and swiping it every time I'd run into a school.

Hit the road around 8:30pm

I didn't take a look at the extended forecast the previous night, but with the way the fish were being, I had a feeling there would be a chance for thunderstorms overnight Tuesday into Wednesday with some low pressure system around the area. When I got on my laptop I checked and saw a low pressure and cold front around Lakes Erie and Ontario with thunderstorms in the forecast for the area tonight into Wednesday night and the cold front sweeping through Wednesday night.

Before this cold front moves through, I'd get out there when the conditions are right and be prepared with the right lures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: