CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Adjusting my trim tab and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Adjusting my trim tab and steering Reply with quote

Looking for some help. I forgot which way my boat pulls to if it's the right or left. What is the best way to adjust this and how? I know it depends on torque, force, speed etc - but is this something that I need to adjust ongoing? I know first I need to find out which way it pulls. If it pulls to the right, do I adjust it right or adjust it left?

I wish this is something that I could fix and adjust outside of the water, but from what I heard its something I have to test while in the water adter adjusting and then possibly adjust again...I'm more concerned with slow speeds of 10mph or less. If anyone could shed some light or tips that'd be great.

Thx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing? I thought there were more boaters here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SAP284,

Here are 2 articles that may help you understand the physics on propellers (right and left hand turning) and the torque they apply to a boat.

www.boatfix.com/how/props.html

And from the USCG auxilliary:
cgauxwhittier.org/Power Points/SEAMANSHIP/Seamanship Ch. 5.ppt

Best regards,

SeaDog1
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, the only thing I've seen is in the manual that came with our boat. I think it really has to come from an owners manual with your motor. If you don't have one, I'd say try to download one from the mfg. site. It does say how to do it in ours. If you can't find any info, pm me and I'll try to send you what info there is in ours. We have a 1986 Evinrude 70hp. If I can help, let me know.

John
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have a 1993 Johnson 90hp. I'm gonna see if I can dig up a manual. I wasn't sure if there was a general rule of thumb for adjusting the trim tab in the back. I can briefly see the tab bolt in the back, just need to see how it's done and some tips and tricks (I know it can be tricky). I'll see what I can dig up, if I can't figure it out I'll pm ya John.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Steve, good luck. Let me know if you need anything. Our motors should be basically the same.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 03' Evinrude 115HP DI. My tab is set 2.5 degrees. I don't think the older motors had marks on the trim tabs. But zero is tab centered, Moving it to 2 degrees would move the tab to the right.

At zero my boat pulled left so I moved the tab to the right until it didn't pull anymore. Hope this helps!

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjbassfishn wrote:
I have a 03' Evinrude 115HP DI. My tab is set 2.5 degrees. I don't think the older motors had marks on the trim tabs. But zero is tab centered, Moving it to 2 degrees would move the tab to the right.

At zero my boat pulled left so I moved the tab to the right until it didn't pull anymore. Hope this helps!

Yes! Very much! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: