CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Anyone heard about the boating accident?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Anyone heard about the boating accident? Reply with quote

I was at an mechanic shop, I happened to look at the tv and...

At the bottom of the screen the scrolling text said something about two bass boats colliding some where in new england...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the link below.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/09/08/1_critical_after_2_boats_collide_on_lake_champlain/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Local+news
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was on Champlain, guy I've been fishing with a couple times in Mass is friends with one of the guys hurt. At 60 mph shit happens pretty quick.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a really disjointed account of this accident before you posted this. I can't find it, so I think that it was pulled. It said something about avoiding a sailboat and one of the bass boats going bow up under power. Speed might have been a factor here.

**** I found a better account ****

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2011/09/james_collins_jr_of_chicopee_i.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame this type of stuff happens. Although sometimes speed limits may not be a factor, I think everyone should pay close attention to what you are doing. I was on the river a couple months ago and people were zipping through the channel where there is a "no wake" zone. Its too bad people dont follow the rules and be cautious. The faster you are going, the less time you have to react to someone else whether they are moving or not. Hopefully the people hurt will be okay.

-Steve
cwenbass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Speed and inatentativeness to your driving (land or water) is "ALWAYS" a prime cause of most accidents.

How many people adhere to the rule of 1 car length for every 10 miles of speed they do?
Reaction time!

On water -> Unlike vehicles, boats put out wash and wake -> It's plain common marine courtesy to slow down to a resonable speed when overtaking or passing another boat or shoreline.

Posted 65 miles per hour in the traveling lane and I still get those sucking my tailpipe exhaust Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

SeaDog1
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYBODY ALWAYS WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET AND KILL SWITCH... My buddies make fun of me for wearing them while "fun fishing" but you never know what can happen....
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A father drowned on Congamond while trying to rescue his daughter yesterday. Bystanders rescued the girl. This year has been extra deadly on Connecticut's waters.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 2 weeks ago i started to not wear my life jacket because i was 2 years over the age in the the ct boaters guide. my dad said it was okay to not wear it when the boat is sitting or when we are going around with the electric motor, but i always had to wear it when we are going fast over the water. i can see why now. PECo is it scary when some boats go fast and they are not too far away from you? and have you ever came close to tipping your kayak from someones wake?
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Very Happy The only time that I was ever almost swamped by a boat's wake was when I was at Lake McDonough, fishing in the channel to the northwest bay. I was so focused on fishing that when a police boat went by, its wake hit me broadside and almost flipped me over. In my opinion, the police boat was going waaay to fast. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that reminds me. when i was on lake McDonough these guys rented a boat and they were jokingly trying to flip it. there was 2 older guys probably in there 30's and 1 little boy around 4 or 5. they did flip it eventually and they all fell out without life jackets on. they were trying it near the island so they were in the shallow water but it would have been terrible if it was in the middle where it gets like 40 feet deep.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Yeah!
I know many of you get tired of hearing me and others always stressing the fact about SAFETY!

Get this straight!

1. Water is a KILLER!.....Have "Respect" for it "Always" Exclamation
2. Have all your Safety Gear with you each time you go out!
3. Learn how to navigate (+ Rules of the Road) and know the limitations of your capabilities and your craft.....and keep a good watch around you!
4. Marine Courtesy toward your fellow boaters is a MUST! .....Watch your wash and wake!

Follow the above rules and you'll be less likely to be involved in an incident..... and have a very enjoyable time on the water!

Do not follow the above rules and.......Well all I can say is -> "You Can't Fix Stupid" Exclamation

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: