CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Are we ok with this? Where does it end?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Are we ok with this? Where does it end? Reply with quote

I thought this would start a lively discussion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/7983700/Fast-growing-GM-salmon-safe-to-be-farmed-and-eaten.html

I find it very difficult to believe that anything they've done in terms of "containment measures" could possibly work long term. Hurricanes, earthquakes, sunamis - you name it....any of these "unforseen" events could free these fish and let them mix with natural populations. It's certainly an interesting concept and worthy of a lively discussion.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote "No" on the genetically modified fish. The fast growing and fast reproducing (spawning up to four times each year!) asian carp is decimating the Mississippi River system. In some areas, they've eaten so much that they're starving themselves out. In my opinion, genetically modifying food animals to keep up with our overconsumption has too much of a downside to justify.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would create a gm bass that grew faster and larger. I don't think this is a good idea. It is all part of an evil plan.

Justin
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I agree -> Not a good idea at all!

Oh! And BA -> Good God Man! -> A GM Bass would be just as bad as the Asian Carp now in the Mississippi.

Bass already breed prolificly and GM's then would eat themselves out out house and home! Rolling Eyes
Heck! There wouldn't be any sunnies left anywhere for the kids to catch! Sad

SeaDog1
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im probably wrong but aren't there already GM LMB? In Florida and Mexico I think they use GM LMB in some lakes.....
On twenty-pound test "
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Sniper you are right. I forget what lakes these bass have been put in but, there is a type of largemouth bass that has the growth rate of a florida strain bass, and the aggresiveness of the northern bass that we have in CT. I think I read it in Field and Stream or Bassmaster, but scientist mated a northern bass with a florida strain bass, and once the eggs were hatched, the bass that had the aggresive behavior were held back while the other bass that had the quick growth rate, but lacked the aggresiveness were released. The cylce was repeated until the aggresiveness and fast growth rate were equal in all the little bass, then they were stocked in some experimental lake. This is just like those big rainbow trout in Canada at Lake Diefenbaker that weigh almost 50 pounds.
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I heard they were in Okeechobee and ALL of the lakes in Mexico you read about.......El Salto, Huites....
On twenty-pound test "
Old Mud

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper you sure are right, Okeechobee is full of them. as far as "genetically modified" goes almost everything (Save wild game) is genetically modified. Has been for many years. all the laying hens, roasters, broilers and even the chickens raised for there breasts. Steer, Cows Nearly everything. Oh yeah i forgot Asparagus. :Lil: We have a Salmon farm up here on the Damriscotta river. (Just up the road a piece from here.) I have never had salmon from there. I only eat Wild caught Salmon. NO Farm raised fish of any kind and NO Foreign fish from ANY country.

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don!

Yeap! Me too! I only eat localy caught wild fish and shellfish.
(And the Younger the Better Wink Wink ! )
Having been brought up, only 19 miles from New Bedford, I'm very picky about my sea-food.
Will only eat what's as close to still wiggling as possible! Razz
The only exception is good "Smoked Scottish Kippers", -> I have a friend in Gourock, Scotland that sends me a case each year. THE BEST Exclamation

SeaDog1
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefin and yellowfin tuna are also GM. At the present time they are manipulating mackeral to carry Bluefin eggs and give birth to bluefin in captivity. If this works it will quite possibly end the shortage of tuna in our oceans.

If this does in fact work as well as they have stated in articles I am all for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the GM bass have been out for some time now. Especially in the great state of Cali. they want their bass to be as big as taxes and the other southern states. I dont remember the sites cause i read about it like 5 years ago...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: