CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Attention Yamaha outboard owners...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Attention Yamaha outboard owners... Reply with quote

I recently was having an issue with my 06 VMax HPDI outboard so I brought it in to the dealer and subsequently had to have the fuel system replaced...the fuel lines, filter, pump, etc. Yamaha will NOT cover any of this under warranty or ‘throw a dog a bone’ because they are calling it a fuel contamination problem since Yamaha does not manufacture the gas or have their name on the gas stations. You ask me, this is complete bullshit because it’s their way of weaseling out of paying for what they should have to.

I called Yamaha to find out if they would do anything and got a huge runaround from their customer service rep...who by the way, is damn good at making you chase your tail in circles. Basically, they told me you have to use the same gas, exactly the same gas, or it will cause a chemical reaction and you’ll have to go through this all over again. But they also said it is impossible to get the same gas because the gas companies/stations mix the ethanol into the tanker trucks and the amounts are different and the gas that’s in the tanks at the stations may not be the same as what they’re putting in. They recommend that you have to test the gas before you put it in your tanks, and if it’s not the same content ethanol, you’ve got to go on to the next gas station and test theirs. They also say you’re supposed to ask the gas station what size tanks they have in the ground, then find the station with the biggest one so that more gas mixes together and you MIGHT have less of an issue. Look for the signs at the pump that say the ethanol content is 10% or less. Well excuse me, but because my t-shirt says that I’m the Tooth Fairy or the President of the United States, that doesn’t f@ck!ng mean it’s true...we all know about false advertisement and who actually tests the gas every time. That was a rhetorical question, I’m not looking for the one or two guys that actually do this to pipe in, let me rant and rave.

Yamaha has done nothing to inform their customers besides put a little blurb on their website, in a hard-to-find spot about what they recommend. Even if you use the fuel conditioners and additives like they say to do, you will still have issues. Supposedly, they have also talked to the folks at the oil/gas companies and complained about this, but it’s probably more that they’ve gotten into bed with them to make more money.

So I guess this means that if you own, or plan on purchasing, a Yamaha outboard, throw your wallet behind you and grab your ankles...this one’s gonna be without any lube.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, I feel your pain. I'm not so sure it is a problem exclusive to just Yamaha, the ethanol fuel is shit, it only lasts a month or so and then starts to break down. More and more guys are having fuel / carb problems, and some of the fuel additives are not rated to be used with ethanol based fuels. I think these oil companies should start shoving this corn in their bung holes, and do the long term research before they market fuels or their additives. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for finding alternative energy sources to better the environment, but not at the cost of more cash leaving my pocket. Good luck with your Yamaha.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else on this forum had any issues with their fuel systems and today's gasoline? If so, has anything been covered under warranty or some type of goodwill?
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

I haven't had any issues with my Yam. Granted it's only a year old but still no issues.

Has nay one tried Sta-bil Marine?

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried that, but Reynolds suggested that I should use Starbrite StarTron additive each time...but Yamaha says that even if I use all of the additives/conditioners int eh world, I will still have this issue. Tell me how this is not their problem if nothing int he world will prevent the issue from reoccurring?

Even though your motor is new/newer, I have still heard of others who have 07/08 Yamaha outboards that had the issue starting as early as 10 hours on the motor.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the ethenol is causing problems with other brands as well. You would think that with the price of gas you would be getting 100% gas not 85% gas and 15% ethenol Twisted Evil

Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: