CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: B.A.S.S. Club Inquiry Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: B.A.S.S. Club Inquiry Reply with quote

I'm contemplating joining a club. I was curious if there were any non-boat anglers in clubs on this site, because I would be joining as a non-boat angler. Also, I'm still learning, so I wanted to inquire as to if I'm ready or not to join and what is to be expected from being a member.

A couple guys at the CT Boat (and Fishing - to an extent) Show gave me some good info, but I wanted to know what is to be expected from these clubs (generally speaking of course b/c each club is different in some ways).

My concerns:

joining as a non-boat angler - I'd love to hear anyone if they're a non-boat angler so they can share some of their experiences

Experience worries me the most because, like I said, I'm still learning

Tourney requirements Do you have to make all tourneys?

Stuff like that. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are a bunch of clubs that are looking for new members to join.

As far as the club I'm a member of (Talcott Mountain), there aren't any outrageous requirements. You do not have to fish every tournament, or show up for every meeting. There is monthly dues and the entry fee for tourneys is on the smaller side. The only requirement is that you participate in 50% of the events, whether they be meetings or tourneys.

Experience is not required to join a club, the club level is more of your entry/learning point for getting into competitive fishing. There are some guys in my club that are beginners at fishing and others that have fished in big events.

One thing you want to consider is where the club is located, the one I belong to is out of Simsbury, and where they may fish the tourneys...not every club goes to ideal locations.
MikeHoncho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Ctbass.com. It the website for the Connecticut BASS Federation Nation. You'll find a list of clubs with their locations, club contact person etc. Some clubs have their own websites. You'll find alot of information about the federation nation and it's affiliated clubs.

Being part of a club is one of the best ways to get better at finding them and catching them. You must learn to walk before you can run. Most of us are still a bit unsteady on our feet, so, don't sweat your experience level.

Family, work and a few other things in life are more important than club activities. Most all clubs get it. Participate when you can and excuse yourself when you can't. That's how most clubs work, or, at least they should.

You will be hearing from the CT Fed. Nation if you left your name and email with us (at the boat show).

Good luck.
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin wrote:
As far as the club I'm a member of (Talcott Mountain), there aren't any outrageous requirements. You do not have to fish every tournament, or show up for every meeting. There is monthly dues and the entry fee for tourneys is on the smaller side. The only requirement is that you participate in 50% of the events, whether they be meetings or tourneys.

that doesn't sound like too much at all.

Quote:
There are some guys in my club that are beginners at fishing and others that have fished in big events.

I always worry about getting skunked and seeing zeros across the board in competition - that's one of the reasons why I have been reluctant to join.

Finding the right club is obviously important because I know some are more serious than others from what I've heard outside of this forum. Thanks for the reply, Justin. I appreciate it.
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeHoncho wrote:

You will be hearing from the CT Fed. Nation if you left your name and email with us (at the boat show).

Good luck.

Thanks Mike,

I think I was talking with Al G. and Dave D. on Sunday afternoon, but I'm not positive - they were very helpful. I went to CT Bass - that was also helpful. I think I'm going to check a few tourney's out before joining, see what it's like.
Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to learn how to be a better fisherman - then join a club. I did four years ago and it has been great! Not only can you learn about different techniques, but you get to fish with different people. As for not catching anything, how else are you going to learn. Sometimes you learn where not to fish or what not to throw, in different conditions, at that particular time. The most important thing to remember is to pay attention to everything that is going on around you. You should be able to learn something every time you go out. These are a few of the things that I have learned as a non-boater. Above all else - have fun! Hope this helps.
n8cas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
If you want to learn how to be a better fisherman - then join a club. I did four years ago and it has been great! Not only can you learn about different techniques, but you get to fish with different people. As for not catching anything, how else are you going to learn. Sometimes you learn where not to fish or what not to throw, in different conditions, at that particular time. The most important thing to remember is to pay attention to everything that is going on around you. You should be able to learn something every time you go out. These are a few of the things that I have learned as a non-boater. Above all else - have fun! Hope this helps.

absolutetly. Thanks, Greg. Hopefully I won't be in the non-boating category for that long.
THE RODFATHER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my club is looking for non boaters it is called ct sweetwaterbass and we are a fed.club we started the club last year you can find us at ct sweetwaterbass .com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas,

Some of the best anglers in the world get skunked every once in a while. We are all still learning, or we would all be fishing the bassmasters elite trail. Some are just learning more than others. I have to agree with the above posts, the best way to get started is to get your feet wet and join a club as a non boater. The information you can gather is amazing when you first get started fishing tournaments. Don't worry about your lack of expirience, throw baits you have confidence in, and keep your eye's and ears open, and you'll do fine.

Last edited by slimecoat on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas, pm me, Ive got some # and info on what your looking for, Sweetwater BASS is a very good club with quality fisherman.Most clubs are looking for new members, especially non-boaters, I was a non-boater for a few years, its definately a learning experience.
THE RODFATHER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nate give me a call

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the dues the same for all BASS clubs?
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas, all the clubs are different with the dues, depending on what they are involved in, I can say that if you get involved with a BASS club your looking at around a 100.00 dollars, plus you can fish the CBFN, which is alot of fun and good people.You will always have to pay to fish whether its for entry to tournies or for gas or for both. unless you go with a club thats not affiliated with BASS, your dues will be cheaper.since you will not have BASS dues.Their are plenty of open tournies,where all you have to pay is entry and probably gas, the good thing about joining a club is(unless its a team trail club)that you will be paired up with someone different every tourny and thats a great learning experience.Some clubs fish for money every tourny and others for points,if you fish for points your still fishing for something,like the 2-day with the state or maybe a kick ass braggin right trophy for the year, all clubs are different, I know you have alot of questions, feel free to call me.
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate I forgot to mention, we all started as entry level at one time, Remember all these clubs are doing what you love to do,Once you find a club you will probably be with them for years to come, its well worth it,
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Flippy! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: