CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: Back to Babcock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVec80X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Back to Babcock Reply with quote

It's been a few weeks since I've fished Babcock so I decided last night to head over early in the morning and see what the bite was like. I had 2 buddies who were supposed to meet me, but they were no shows. I launched at 5:20 and there was lots of "kissing" going on, along with dozens of fish jumping. I started chucking a Booyah Pad Crasher completely convinced that I would land a fish. 30+ minutes went by and no top water bite!

I grabbed my 2nd rod that had a Texas Rigged Big Bite Baits Trick Stick ($1/bag at Dicks Laughing) and on the 2nd cast hooked up with a Bass just over a pound. The stick bite continued for 1.5 hours or so, landing a bass or pickerel every 4-5 casts. I'm always nervous tossing plastics on my spinning rod at Babcock because I run 20# braid with a 15# fluoro leader. With the dense vegetation, pads, etc. I've snapped off that leader a lot. Pushing my luck, I continued to fish the stick and it was a damn good thing I did....mega hook up! After a solid battle against the fish and the Milfoil I ended up with my biggest catch of the year and biggest ever in the kayak, 5.31 pounds! I had an Eagle Claw Laser Sharp 2/0 hook on and the fish beat the hell out of it! Note to self: fish bigger and better quality hooks!! After that catch I landed a few Pickerel and called it a day in the 9 o'clock hour. Great morning on Babcock, 7 Bass and 11 Pickerel total.

NOTE: You can no longer access the upper portion of Babcock through the tunnel under Rt. 16. The beavers have officially dammed it up and it's not passable Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by AVec80X on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a nice fatty, Anthony. She looks like a football.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looks like a great day of fishing. I tried to get out Sunday morning at 5:30 for my first time ever bass fishing , but as soon as I put the kayak in the water and pushed off I heard a rumble of Thunder . Came right back in got out of the yak then it started to pore with a lot of Thunder and lighting. Packed up and went home The bass gods were not with me😢
AVec80X

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the creature of habit that I am, I hit up Babcock again last night. The water is even lower than Saturday, had to actually walk my kayak 10' into the launch muck to reach deep enough water Rolling Eyes Initially, it was very windy and tossing a Senko was pointless, my line kept getting blown into the pads. I ended up wedging my yak in the pads and fished top water for an hour or so with no success. As the sun began to make its way down the wind mellowed out and the Senko came back out. From 7-8:20PM I pulled a pickerel and 5 bass, 2 lbs being the lunker. There were lots of fish jumping and tons of movement in the pads. I was kinda shocked I had no success with the frog! What started off as a lousy night of fishing ended up being pretty decent. Planning to get back out there one morning this weekend to see if I can find another pig!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AVec80X wrote:
Being the creature of habit that I am, I hit up Babcock again last night. The water is even lower than Saturday, had to actually walk my kayak 10' into the launch muck to reach deep enough water Rolling Eyes Initially, it was very windy and tossing a Senko was pointless, my line kept getting blown into the pads. I ended up wedging my yak in the pads and fished top water for an hour or so with no success. As the sun began to make its way down the wind mellowed out and the Senko came back out. From 7-8:20PM I pulled a pickerel and 5 bass, 2 lbs being the lunker. There were lots of fish jumping and tons of movement in the pads. I was kinda shocked I had no success with the frog! What started off as a lousy night of fishing ended up being pretty decent. Planning to get back out there one morning this weekend to see if I can find another pig!

The water levels seem to be low everywhere. My local pond is about 1-1/2 lower than normal. While it's interesting to get a better look at the shallow laydowns, I'm hoping for a lot more rain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: