CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Bad luck/Good luck
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishindoc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Bad luck/Good luck Reply with quote

I haven't posted for some time as I am an outsider (from PA) and rarely have anything valuable to add to the site. Today's escapade, however, seems worth sharing. I am up visiting my in-laws in Milford and have been lucky enough to get outs for the past two days. I hit Wintergreen on Thursday early (5:45) and caught the skunk. I actually have had some success there, even in mid-summer, so I was both surprised and disappointed at the result. I hit Mondo later on (ca 3:30) for some pre-dinner casts and caught a few to 2 lbs. I was shocked not only that I caught them under the high sun, but also that I did so by sight fishing. It looked like they were actually stalking in the shallows. Once I figured out that they were looking for weak sunnies, I tied on a swimming fluke and had a blast.

Yesterday morning I hit Mondo again from 5:30-10:00 and had nothing but small pick and dink bass to show for my efforts. The afternoon brought me to my brother-in-law's house in Westbrook, so I spent the afternoon at Messerschmidt's Pond. Again, the skunk got me. I have to say that I love the look of that place, but I fear that fishing from shore limits my options so much that I have little chance of success this late in the year. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I was so frustrated at my lack of success that I vowed to return this morning to try to catch the early-morning bite (if there is one). Up at 4:45 to a beautiful morning and ready to take the 35-minute trek back to Messerschmidt's, I head to the frig to grab a Gatorade and fate kicks in (and why I feel the need to share). As I open the door a bottle of wine starts to fall. Luckily, I still have quick hands, so no disaster; in grabbing it, however, I knocked over a butter dish, which did make its way out and onto the tile floor. Shattered glass all over the kitchen, dining room, and den equals 45 minutes of clean up and an end to my plans. I haven't been that angry in a while, but I decided to suck it up and head to Mondo to salvage what was left of my morning. I noticed that some of the grass mats had moved a bit from where they were the other day, so I stopped at a spot I don't usually like to fish. On my second cast with a hollow-bellied frog, I see a small swirl and the frog disappears underneath. Two minutes later I land a slob- 5 lbs. 8 oz. I didn't get a bite for the next two hours, but I don't care in the least. I have a pic, albeit a poor one, but I need my wife to help me upload it.

I'm not sure if there's a moral to this story (i.e. break something before fishing and catch a monster), but things do work out every now and then. Tight lines everyone.
Megaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: slob... Reply with quote

Had same issue few weeks ago...local pond..very weedy..had success in the past esp with frogs, no recent luck..id say many ponds get very HIGHly PRESSURED..esp in summer...anyhoo...i chucked a booyah pad crasher..third cast...PLUUUNNKK!! The frog disappears and my rod turns into a curved walking cane!! Big bass.... Id also throw a jigncraw/10inch worm/creature bait...something will bite!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the bass!

You hardly find any bass over 2 pounds at Mondo these days.
fishindoc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the pic I promised. I suck at taking these shots while holding them, so I don't know if it gives a sense of its size.

I'm setting up another post now with today's action, which, surprisingly, makes this one look boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: