CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: baitcaster questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmflint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: baitcaster questions Reply with quote

I have a quantum pt that I love to use. However just recently it broke. The release button that releases the line does not catch when I start reeling again so it doesn't pop back up so in order to reel I have to manually push up the button. Any ideas what is wrong?

Also next Christmas or sooner I think i'm going to get a new baitcaster. What's the bestbaitcaster for under 200 bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: baitcaster... Reply with quote

id get your quantum to a SHOP...do NOT open it up if you are not an expert....

mY Recommendations...for About/Close to or/Just Under 200 smackers...id go with One of the following...

Shimano Curado E series or
Shimano Choronarch E series or
Shimano Citica
all on EBAY....

btw...id love to go YAK Fishing with you guys if my work schedule wasn't so busy...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it doesnt engage when you start reeling then push the button in again and try reeling, it should engage this time. I have a quantum that this occasionally happens with.
icefishingnewbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the lews tournament speed spool 150 bucks and hands down one of the best reels you can buy or another for 200 bucks is the lews tournament pro speed spool. Both are awesome reels but in my opinion the best reel is a 100 dollar bass pro shops pro qualifier has like 660 reviews and 4.8 out of 5 stars love that reel to death!!!
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the the Abu Pro-Max at Walmart for $80, just got one a few weeks ago, works like a dream for 80 bucks. The Abu Black Max for $60 isn't too bad either, I've got 2 of those and never had one problem.
x182dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bass Pro Baitcaster is a good one for around $100 the abu garcia is also good for $60. I have both and am happy. Although I can cast the abu a lot farther for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABUUUUUUUUUU Laughing
x182dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I got the The Abu Black Max baitcast combo on sale at dicks for $79.99 reg its $99.99 and there is a $20 mail in rebate I sent in. So am basically getting it for $60 with a rod. It came with a 6'8" medium/heavy action rod. I caught that 34in pike on that pole and it handled it quite nicely.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan, Abu pole? I just might be in the market myself. I just grabbed a Pro Max, it is a step up from the Black Max I've already got.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: baitcaster... Reply with quote

• Revo STX-SX or S good deals out there as the next generation is almost ready for market. TackleWarehouse has the S on sale for $99 and free shipping.
• Shimano Choronarch E series(it's actually the Curado e from last season with a white paint job)
• Shimano Curado E series(g-series isn't getting great reviews)
• Shimano Citica E series(g-series isn't getting great reviews either)
• Daiwa's new Lexa 100 is worth mentioning.
• Lew's TP are real nice! I like the Multi-Setting Brake (MSB) models. The MCS models have magnetic only braking. Not as user friendly IMHO!
• Okuma Kumato
• Pinnacle has some nice stuff as well if your a right hander
• Bass Pro PQ is a nice reel packed full of features for a bargain price! Best bang for the buck and pretty durable too IMHO!!

I own most of them(not brand loyal) and all do well. But best to get some hands on touchy feely. Hit up the tackle shops and do some playin.(If you where closer I'd let you cast a few of mine).

Another thing to think about is gear ratio, 6.4 to 1 is good all around. High speed 7 to 1 is great for jig/rigs. 5 to 1 is deep crank.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 99 bucks is a great deal.
jjbassfishn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit over the edge when it comes to reels. I have about 30 or so not counting my sons. I do all my own service/maintenance as I can't afford to pay someone to do all that we own. I'm teaching my son and we are starting to play with supertuning. More father son bonding IMHO and Fun too!

I do have a few Quantums that my son uses. We had a similar problem and the Kick Lever was worn out. It doesn't take much wear for the Trip Ratchet not to make contact with the Kick Lever. Parts can be ordered from Quantum at a reasonable price. The Kick Lever is only something like $3.00.

Ryan, Send me a PM if you want me to take a look at it.

Can't catch em sittin on the sofa! Wink
angry john

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best reel for under 200 bucks hands down would be the daiwa advantage supertuned! Check out the reviews on tackle tour and flea bay has tons of them for sale!!!
rmflint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was pretty set on getting the Chronarch, but then I discovered that I could get the Abu Garcia premier generation 3 for only $240.00 bucks from tacklewarehouse with the 20% off black friday sale. Now I know the Chronarch is only $200.00, but Shimano opted to stay out of the black friday sale on tacklewarehouse so I decided 40 more bucks wasn't bad considering the Premier Generation 3 was the ICAST 2012 freshwater reel of the year. Its a great reel and people have more than enough good things to say about it. I have no experience with Abu Garcia, but I trust the opinions of countless fishermen including the pro I spoke with. So after Christmas I will be rigging this reel on to the iROD Genesis II 7' Heavy Action that I will also be receiving on Christmas. This years Christmas should certainly be a fishy Christmas for me! I can't wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: