CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam 09-05 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratos17

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Bantam 09-05 Reply with quote

Started out at 7am, first on the water. The action was pretty slow. Got a really nice 3lb smallie on a spinner bait between the 3 hazard bouys. Put on a hell of a show. We boated only 8 keepers by 10am, our biggest was a close to 4lb largie.

On the way in, our last hour or so was just unbeleivable. We got on a pike bite like you read about!!!!! I think we boated 20 or more. All on spinnerbaits. Our biggest was close to 40" most of them between 24"-30". There were times with two fish on. Tons of fun and a little chaotic, lots of "holy shit,did you see that" . We probably missed 10 or so. The pike would kind roll over the bait on the surface or make short nips on our trailers. The bigger fish would dive, go under the boat, get wrapped around motors etc. The smaller guys would be a bit more challenging to net.

The action was totally turned on by the conditions today. As soon as the sun went behind the clouds and the wind put some chop on the water the bite was on instantly!!

The water was still pretty high. My guess it is up 2 feet or so. Seemed like late spring conditions water temp in the high 60's

The water clarity was typical, a bit more clear than the usual green. I'd say 2-3 feet a visability.

We got off the water at 11:15am. It was nice to see the parking full. About ten other fishing boats. The high water conditions made a snap to launch and load.
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what area of the lake did the pike bite come? Don't think I've ever had that much steady action. Nice job! Pics?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced a northern pike bite like that last year on Lake Champlain, but never expected that it could happen down here. They hit the spinnerbait hard up in Vermont, too.

Hey, has the Town of Morris put up any "Residents Only" signage at the launch?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Flip... Along the eastern bank from the 3 bouys south to the launch, I would say 6-10fow. It was amazing!!! What a way to finish. I am no means a "pike" guy. Sure was fun. The best part we only lost one spinnerbait!!

@Peco....... I have been fishing Bantam for years. After all the termoil here is what I see has changed

No State Guy
No outhouse
No trash
Not as much PWC
No tie ups at the launch
The fishing has gotten way better

I don't think the residents have any issues with people using the launch. As long as people respect it there will be no problems. Hope it lasts.

For a holiday weekend it was pretty quiet. Last weeks storm had a big effect. Almost all the boats are out of the water. 90 percent of the docks are broken or submerged. Seems the season end will be sooner than later
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no tie ups at the launch because you need a resident sticker to launch there now (legally). If you don't have a Litchfield, Bantam or Morris sticker, you should be paying to launch at Point Folley. I miss that beautiful launch, lol. Glad to hear the bite is on there again too! The weed poison a month or so ago did a number on it for a while.
Stratos17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no special stickers on any of the boats I saw. I purposly looked too. At least I'm not alone Very Happy
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for the info. I don't think I have ever fished that stretch of the lake. I always seem to fish the west side of south bay, then go to the sunken island, then hit the bouys on my way to north bay. Sometimes I'll play around in the coves on middle bay, but only the west side. I may have to try that area soon. My summer pike spot is all done, and that's when I usually start fishing Bantam.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow what a story, glad to hear im not the only one fishing there without a sticker. gotta go there soon. last time i went i didnt catch anything but i had a pretty big lmb follow my spinnerbait in the spot you were fishing near the buoys
Flipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear - there are no restrictions to launching a boat at Bantam Lake in the south bay. The town tried to put a sign up "For Residents Only", but the District Attorney made them take it down because it was illegal to restrict useage of the boat ramp. That land was donated for public use - not town use. The launch on the north bay is private for town residents only. Many of you remmember we had this discussion last year. Phil has the details and the letter from the DA. I refer to him for all legal matters. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Damian, but Dick Blumenthal is no longer our State Attorney General and the Town of Morris has put the sign back up:

I went out there with asianfisher (aka Billy) for a while today. I'll post a Lake Report.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so where can you launch? Even a pay site is better than nothing, some directions would be cool. Bantam is one of the first places we'd like to take our bass boat after we move it down this coming weekend, finally!!!!!!!!!! Hey Phil, you seem to know quite a bit, do you have recommendations on where to launch? We really want to be able to take the boat someplace and open her up before winter rolls in.

Thanks
John
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

Sorry, but I'm not sure where a non-resident could launch a trailered boat onto Bantam Lake. The only other public boat launch ramp of which I'm aware is on the north shore of the lake off of North Shore Road:

It's operated by The White Memorial Conservation Center:

http://www.whitememorialcc.org/index.html

I'd give them a call.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am calling the Morris town hall tomorrow. I will politely ask them what happens if I get caught there with out my resident pass. I cannot imagine the Town of Morris having enough staff to enforce whats posted. I have been fishing Bantam for 25 years I have only seen the Police boat in action once....getting towed in by the ski club tow boat.

If you dont want to chance it launch at Point Folly. The store employee could care less about the launch or fees. The Campground is where their headaches are. I have on several occasions launched there and paid later and paid a day or two earlier. Night fishing obviously.

I'm not trying to save a buck or beat the system..I'm just fishing, being a sportsmen.

On Monday My fishing partner and I had conversations will several property owners at least 6. Not one resident showed any resentmant or harshness to us at all. All of them were nice to us as we were to them. In fact several people actually swam by us. There was this boy maybe six years old sitting on his dock with his grandmom. He asked a million questions, we put on a show for him boating some nice Pike. They were amazed. He fishes with his Dad and cathces Bluegills and Perch. He ran all the up to his house to show us his push button fushing rig he got for his birthday. One of his million questions was " Whats a Spinnerbait"

I guess I'll take my chances........It's worth it
watthe555

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if they catch you they just give you a fine. probably around like $100-$200.
MarkO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sign is all show. Still legal to launch and fish. Town Hall will probably lie and tell you otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: