CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam Lake 09/06 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I pan fried the chain pickerel fillets for breakfast. The meat is firm, but tender, and very mildly flavored. The only bad thing about pickerel is the Y-bones. I don't have the skill or experience to trim them out of a fillet without losing a large amount of the meat, so I resolved to just eat around them. It was a picky experience, but I didn't choke on any. I was amazed at how many I pulled out. They're very long and very fine, and they really are shaped like the letter Y. Pickerel is delicious, but I still prefer smallmouth or largemouth bass, which are tastier and boneless when properly filleted.

Hi Phil!

Go up on "Youtube" -> type in "fillet pike or pickerel" -> videos will show you how easy it is to fillet either, and remove the Y bones Exclamation

I noticed the size of the bass you caught at Bantam -> Thinking there are less smaller ones around, giving others to grow larger.
Less number of smaller fish, competing for limited food, will cause what's there to grow larger.

Trouble is with all the pike in Bantam -> there will be much less smaller fish in there for them and bass to forage on. This could cause the pike to get stunted competing for less food due to over-population.
Might be a good idea, for the pike hunters, to start thinking about culling out some of the pike (at least some of the big ones, who are reaching the end of their life span) !
Catch and Release isn't always a good thing once a body of water gets over- populated with certain fish!

The guys up in Mass. and Mid-west keep and eat the pike they catch !
In Maine (because they hate them so much!) they kill any they catch and leave them for the coyotes/raccoons/eagles/etc. to eat !

SeaDog1

PS: Oh My! Shocked First time I've seem you make a post that you eat Smallies and LMB's -> Thought you mostly eat Trout,Crappies, and White Perch Laughing -> Got your recipes from Billy Question Very Happy

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bdiggy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Does anyone here know what the ramp at Point Folly costs? I've got the 3/4 ounce spinnerbaits ready to go.
Thanks
John

$10 for a tow in, and the ramp is steep and right on the main road. It can be tricky, but if you have a second person, easy enough.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

I threw a big black single colorado blade spinnerbait on the north end of the south cove without any hits, and a huge bluegill colored double willow blade spinnerbait in the southwest corner with one follow and one hit. Billy threw a big blue and white double willow blade spinnerbait and got one follow on the north end and three hits in the southwest corner. Now, I'm not sure about the reason for these results, but I'd try throwing a big double willow blade spinnerbait first. Good luck!

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for the info bdiggy, yeah we have a trailer and it'll be the wife and I. She's the driver I'm un loader. Hey Phil, I've got double willows on my 3/4 ounce spinnerbaits, but they're not blue/wht. They're both chat/wht, but we've got tons of other options in 1/2 ounce size. Looks like the weather is gonna be sweet for Sunday, can't wait to finally launch into our new waters. It's Bantam first, then next is probably Highland.
CatDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Access to Bantam Lake for all!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highland Lake is a great place. Just make sure you get there early. It can be frustrating with all the water skiers during the day. Try the third bay at the end for Bass.

-Steve
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, thanks for the info. Do you think it's still pretty crazy up there now? We went by in July while we were house hunting, looked at one there, and the ramp was a freaking zoo. We live on a lake now, well used to, and the water skiers can get pretty annoying, but we've gotten used to it over the years, you just need a little patience at times. C'mon weekend!!!!!!!!!
bdiggy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Thanks much for the info bdiggy, yeah we have a trailer and it'll be the wife and I. She's the driver I'm un loader. Hey Phil, I've got double willows on my 3/4 ounce spinnerbaits, but they're not blue/wht. They're both chat/wht, but we've got tons of other options in 1/2 ounce size. Looks like the weather is gonna be sweet for Sunday, can't wait to finally launch into our new waters. It's Bantam first, then next is probably Highland.

Chartreuse is the color I always use in spinners, and 9 times out of 10, it gets the job done pretty well. Black/chartreuse is also a pike killing combo!
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a big chat/wht guy anyways. Haven't tried chat/blk but that might be next. Thanks all for the info.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposed to head up to Bantam Monday afternoon, but Point Folley was underwater yesterday, lol. Guess it's safe to say it's still a little high.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I knew that the water in the lake is high, but never would have guessed that Point Folly is under water.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hila,

Sorry I missed your message from the other day. I havent been to Highland in about a month, I went twice in August. It might not be as bad, if you get there early you will be okay. Funny thing was when I went last time the DEP guy was there doing an inspection. I got a sticker that said my vessel was inspected and I passed with 100% Very Happy . Its definitely worth taking the trip there. I drive about an hour to get there because its somewhat out of the way for me. You might be okay because its started to get a little cooler.

-Steve
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, thanks, haven't been on much either, too busy moving. But we're all moved into our house, now I just have to get my company moved down and I'm done moving for a long time. We finally got our boat moved down to Ct, and one of our batteries is dead, so another issue to deal with, gonna grab one Friday and hook it up, run volt tests etc. So where we now live, there's no good size lakes at all(we're in Wolcott), so there's a few around 45 min-1 hour away. What's your opinion, Bantam,Highland,Zoar, or the river. Don't really know a good spot to launch on the river near Wolcott.
Thanks for any help.
John
pikePERSUADER1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most experts agree that a good pike fishery increases average size of the bass, a self culling action happens because the big pike eat small bass and pike. Smile
watthe555

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hila, you can just launch the boat at the public ramp, its not illegal to, at least i dont think because the land was donated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: