CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam Lake Access - Be Careful Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Good luck with the slabs Seadog. By the way, how do you cook up your crappies? Never had'em but heard they are good eating.

Jim

Hi SJ!

Yes! Very good eating!
Dipped in fish batter and pan fried! Super! Thumbs Up

FYI:
May be fish tales, but heard they're catching 12 to 16 inchers at Otis -> Have to check this out and where they're catching them.
Will let you know!

SeaDog1
thevinman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
Explain to me how public money is used to stock trout in waters that have NO Public Access such as Lake Quassapaug and per the town of Middlebury -> Restricted to Residents ONLY!

Also, as you pointed out -> waters here in Ct. are state owned, if so then why is there no public access to waters such as Indian Lake which is listed in the Ct. Angler's Guide as fishing waters and you did point out.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that if a lake uses DEP (public) money that it SHOULD have some public access! I think this is type of thing is totally wrong, but not applicable to the Bantam launch situation.

I believe (now I could be wrong, because I’m not an expert on Lake Quassapaug) that there is no public land anywhere surrounding lake Quassapaug. The only access provided is already private and they have decided to restrict access to residents only. This is different than the Bantam launch situation in that the land the launch is on, is public. Again, the point of contention in this case is whether a municipality can restrict access to public land not whether private land owners can restrict access to private land.
SeaDog1 wrote:
So? Why? Even list waters in the CtAG if you can't fish it

I’ve asked this exact question to the DEP, and this was the response from Bill Foreman “Indian Pond is listed in the CT Angler's Guide because the fishing regulations and license requirements for this water body differ from the general statewide fishing regulations. You will find several other water bodies without public access also listed in the Guide for the same reasons. Conversely, there are numerous smaller local ponds with plenty of public access that are not listed in the Guide.” – This is a direct word-for-word reply from Bill.

And technically speaking, if you could air drop or helicopter into a lake from the air…given the FAA does not get you for some crazy violation, I really think you can legally be on water since you did not transgress any private land to gain that access. I just don’t think anyone has been determined (or crazy) enough to try it…yet.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

I think Turtlekiss has a "slip 'n slide" that she uses to get to restricted waters. Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I read somewhere that Bantam Lake is "owned" by the State of Connecticut. The problem is that all of the land surrounding it is not. You could still to launch a canoe or kayak from Sandy Beach, which is on the south end of the North Bay:

http://www.sandybeachatbantamlake.info/

The state owns a big forest up along the south shore area of Bantam Lake that extends all the way to the shoreline. On Bantam Lake it is called Camp Columbia. You drive past Beverly's along that south road and when the lake shore turns north you make an immediate left turn and then a another left into a dirt road that leads to an unimproved small field where you can park and launch your car topper, kayak or canoe. There is a small storage building there owned by the state.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevinman - Is that Camp Columbia off of Dowd Parkway in the SW corner of Bantam Lake?

SeaDog1 - I just sent an email to Middlebury's Recreation Department to ask about accessing the boat launch at the Middlebury Recreation Area on Lake Quassapaug. I wonder what type of response I'll get, if any. I know that, at the very least, there would be a fee.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=435450
brennan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chatted up a DEP officer at Highland earlier in the season and he said the state has "plans" to build their own launch on property on the other side of the lake. Maybe that is camp Columbia. I also heard that a university(quinnipiac maybe?) granted a bunch of land in north cove to the state.

I won't be holding my breath on this "new ramp", but maybe it explains the lack of state negotiations.

B
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
thevinman - Is that Camp Columbia off of Dowd Parkway in the SW corner of Bantam Lake?

SeaDog1 - I just sent an email to Middlebury's Recreation Department to ask about accessing the boat launch at the Middlebury Recreation Area on Lake Quassapaug. I wonder what type of response I'll get, if any. I know that, at the very least, there would be a fee.

Phil!

Too LATE -> Already got the answer and posted it.
Go back 1 page -> I called Middlebury and spoke to the Director of parks and recreation.

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vinman!

Whoa! You brought up the subject of public money and who takes/gets/uses it.

I only elaborated on that, pointing out how govt. does one thing and then does another with our money!

Whoops! Hey isn't that what this Democratic President and Democract controled Congress is doing to all of us!

OK - OK! Sorry! -> Don't want to expand this debate by getting off subject!

But as an FYI -> I did try and access the DEP site concerning the issues about Bantam Lake.
As Gomer Pile said -> Surprise - Surprise - Surprise!!!!!
NOTHING -> NADA -> ZIPPO -> DOCUMENT REMOVED or UNAVAILABLE
Now why would DEP remove all info concerning the Bantam boat ramp issue off its web site Question
A little rocket science needed here! -> They fouled up and "they know it" and are trying to cover their tracks so that P O'd sportsmen as us can't point to the proof of their incompetency

Buy the way did you know that, when Gov. Rell increased sportfishing and hunting Lic. fees, that "NO ONE repeat NO ONE" at the DEP was ever contacted for their input on the matter!
I got that info from the horses mouth!!!!!

I REPEAT:
Politicians and Beaucrats -> "Cheats, Liars, and when they're not kissing babies they're stealing their Lollypops!"
Blumenthal -> ("Liar" - Vietnam Vet my A$$) Would'nt give him the sweat off the end of my (Uh? Whats another name for Richard -> Oh Ya! D_ _ _!).

Anyway -. I'm hoping the Bantam boat ramp issue gets resolved in the sportsman favor.

SeaDog1

P.S. The hellicopter thing was intended as a joke!
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL! Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I think Turtlekiss has a "slip 'n slide" that she uses to get to restricted waters. Surprised

Now Phil!

Don't go getting "Turtlekiss" rilled -> Remember she's awful good at poping a lure in the forehead!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Good luck with the slabs Seadog. By the way, how do you cook up your crappies? Never had'em but heard they are good eating.

Jim

Hi SJ and Phish!

Update on Otis scouting trip!

Got there at 2:00 PM.
Nice elderly gent just made a landing at the boat ramp.
Asked him about catching Crappies.
Didn't say a word -> Just reached into his cooler and, with a BIG BIG GRIN, pulled out 2 monster Slabs, each about 14-15 inches.
He must have had a over a dozen in the box.
Told me what, how, and where he caught them.

A true sportsman willing to share his knowledge! Thumbs Up

Will be going up there in the next 2 days Wx permitting!

SeaDog1
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog, looking forward to your report on this trip!! I gotta try this and see just how good these crappies taste.

Jim
Stratos17

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Phish Said " I'm just gonna fish Bantam" Maybe today even
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Seadog, looking forward to your report on this trip!! I gotta try this and see just how good these crappies taste.

Jim

Hi Jim!

About Otis -> Forgot to mention, that starting Sept. 15th, they're going to drain the lake down 17 ft. so repairs can be made to the outlet dam and locals docks.
As posted -> The lake will go down approximately 2 inches every 24 hours and be completed by Nov. 1st.

So it looks like I've got 2 maybe 3 weeks to fish Otis before the boat ramp is unusable!

Will keep you informed!

SeaDog1
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seadog, soon you'll be able to just walk right out to the middle puddle and scoop out enough for dinner! Wink Very Happy Keep us posted.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: