CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam River 06/22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Bantam River 06/22 Reply with quote

After three days in a row without going fishing, I fished the Bantam River in my kayak from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, today. Although I had planned to fish upstream from the beaver dam on my next trip there, I couldn't help myself and fished it while drifting downstream from the canoe launch on Whites Wood Road. I just couldn't wait to get my bait in the water, which was pretty murky. Yes, I used wacky Dingers, both watermelon/red flake and watermelon/laminated cream. Thankfully, it was a cool and overcast today. The weeds have grown in from the last time I was on the river 11 days ago. They were plentiful in some spots, from bank to bank.

Once again, the fishing was slow on the upper river from the launch to the pedestrian/horse bridge, where a bunch of kids were climbing the trestle and jumping off the bridge into the water. It looked like fun. I caught several smaller largemouth bass, but the most excitement I had was catching what I thought might be a northern pike, but turned out to be a 21 inch, 2 lb 1 oz chain pickerel:

I paddled quickly past the kids and the bridge. They were splashing and shouting so much that I had no hope of catching anything nearby. It wasn't until I reached the island loop that I started to catch some decent largemouth bass in the main channel. In addition to a dozen or so rock bass, here are all of the largemouth bass that I caught:

Upper River
14 inch, 1 lb
13 inch
15 inch, 1 lb 6 oz
11 inch

Lower River
19 Inch, 2 lb 14 oz
18 inch, 2 lb 8 oz
18 inch, 2 lb 1 oz
17 inch 1 lb, 12 oz
11 inch (on the way back upstream)
17 inch, 2 lb, 2 oz (on the way back upstream)

I landed the 19-incher as I exited the loop on the downstream side and re-entered the main channel of the river. After I released it, I cast my bait to the upstream side and almost immediately tangled my line in the front carrying handle of my kayak. As I leaned forward to try and work it free, the line started pulling out and I knew I had another fish on. I tried to paddle over to the bank, but the fish kept pulling me into deeper water. I ended up pulling the line in by hand and was surprised to see that the fish was an 18-incher. I didn't realize until a few minutes ago that my braided line actually cut into the skin on my thumb. It looks like I have a bad paper cut. Here's the 19-incher:

I had to head home as it started to rain around 5:00 PM. I never did make it all the way to the beaver dam, although I saw a large beaver just upstream from the loop. On my way back to the launch, I passed a guy in a canoe with a dog who was heading to the beaver dam to fish. And as I got closer to the launch, I passed a couple of guys in kayaks, each with a little dog. One of the dogs fell in and, guess what, little dogs can't swim worth a damn. I half expected a northern pike to zoom in and take it away. The guy to whom the dog belongs couldn't manoeuver his kayak next to the dog; he kept circling it, just out of reach. Finally, I started to head over to the dog, but the other guy managed to get his kayak alongside the dog and scoop it up, just as I got there.

OK, the next time I go to the Bantam River, I'm going to paddle all the way down to the beaver dam right after I launch. Once I get there, I'll decide whether I'll continue on to the lake or fish the river as I head back upstream. Oh, and I'll try harder to catch a northern pike, too (e.g., I'll pull out a spinnerbait).

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Bantam River, here's a map:

Last edited by PECo on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Stratos17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Fish...nice report.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pike and pickeral love tubes, in green pumpkin and watermelon hues. Drag them on the bottom with an 1/8oz weight in 10 feet of water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil! Nice report too.
steven1smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish Phil! I love catching big pickerel and pike! They put up quite a fight! If you want to target those toothy torpedoes, try throwing a 1/4 ounce thomas bouyant in either gold color with red spots or perch color. The gold color seems to work the best in the middle of the day under bluebird skies when nothing else will work. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report...

Is it me or are these reports getting better and better.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the delay. This is a picture of Phils 3lb LMB from Bantam River on the 11th of June.

Tim
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Ahem! Reply with quote

Um, Tim, it was 3 lbs 1 oz, so it was over 3 pounds. I'm just sayin'. . . . Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. I also forgot that it now refered to as Bantam Brook.

Tim Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: