CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam River 07/17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Bantam River 07/17 Reply with quote

I fished Bantam Brook, er, River with Tim (aka Fishface) and Derek (aka DirtyDawg10), today. We met up at the canoe launch on Whites Wood Road at about 5:15 AM. Tim had to leave around noon, but Derek and I fished until about 2:30 PM. The water was clear and barely flowing. When we arrived, it was still dark and foggy:

After we launched, we moved very slowly downstream and were immediately surrounded by a colony of beavers. There were four or five that we could see and even more that we could only hear. We tried to not disturb them too much and got only one tail slap for our efforts.

The fishing started out pretty well. I caught a 14 inch largemouth bass, and Derek caught a 13 inch and a 14 inch largemouth bass. As we moved downstream, we had a little excitement as Tim landed what we thought might be a northern pike, but turned out to be an 18 inch chain pickerel.

As we hit the first big bend in the river, I caught a 13 inch largemouth bass, Derek caught an 8 inch largemouth bass and Tim caught a little yellow perch. Derek then caught a 15 inch chain pickerel and, hooray, I caught the first rock bass of the day. Tim followed that up with a rock bass of his own and finally caught a tiny largemouth bass. He improved with his next fish, which was a 10 inch largemouth bass.

By this time, the sun had come up and burned off the morning fog. Almost immediately, I began wishing for some rain. I really don't like full sun on a windless day. Surprisingly, with the sun full in the sky, Derek caught the best fish of the day, a 16 inch, 2 lb 3 oz largemouth bass. Coincidentally, we had been talking about fish weights and I had said that I would expect a 16 inch largemouth bass to weigh only a pound and a half or a pound and three-quarters at most. Well, Derek and Tim thought it would weigh more and definitely had the last word on that. By the way, that largemouth bass is Derek's new personal best:

The fishing slowed quite a bit for the rest of the day. I caught a 13 inch largemouth bass, Tim got another small chain pickerel, a 12 inch largemouth bass and two rock bass, and I caught another rock bass. At this point, Tim had to take off, and Derek and I decided to double-time it down to the beaver dam to check it out.

We didn't fish too much after that. We saw an older woman and her dachsund shoot over the dam in a kayak on their way down to Bantam Lake. After seeing that, I'd have to say that anyone who portages over or around the dam when heading downstream is a wussie.

We didn't go over the dam and started back to the launch. On our way back, I caught a couple more rock bass and then a 16 inch, 1 lb 10 oz largemouth bass. I guess that you catch what you expect to catch. Why my 16-incher weighed 9 oz less than Derek's, I have no idea, but mine was typical for me. I must attract scrawny bass. Derek's last fish of the day was a 13 inch largemouth bass.

All in all, the fishing was hot and slow. The highlight of the outing was definitely Derek's new personal best largemouth bass.

Next up: Winchester Lake (hopefully, soon).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report as usual Phil. Once the sun came out it was blistering and the bite definitely slowed down but fortunately didn't stop. All my fish came on a 5" wacky rigged senko purple w/ emerald flake. No hook ups on the frog this time around. I can't believe I missed taking a picture of your 16"er Phil. I'll do better next time.

Here's a close up of my fish

Here's Phil & Tim at the foot bridge
chumley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job guys!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice trip. Maybe I'll put the canoe in there and check it out. It looks pretty cool place to fish at.

And congrats on the new pb Derek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven1smith - Yeah, Bantam River is a very scenic paddle. I've seen a horse and rider cross the bridge, and Tim has seen a deer cross it. I plan to take my wife kayaking there to get her inspired about boating. If you go, you'll see a lot of recreational kayakers, many up from Bantam Lake. And if you decide to go over the beaver dam to the lake and don't run over the center of the dam at full speed, you're a wussie!

I forgot to mention a near disaster in my post. While trying to clear a deep snag, I gave up on saving the hook and decided to wrap the 30 pound braided line around my Lipper Fish Gripper and just straighten the hook out. Stupid me dropped the Lipper and it slid down the line. Every time I released the tension on the line, the Lipper would slide deeper into the water. I thought I was going to have to go swimming to get it back. Finally, I let the tension out of the line completely, and the Lipper slid down and pulled the hook free when it hit the snag. Phew! The Lipper was my best catch of the day. I don't think I'll be trying that again soon. And I might buy one of those inexpensive 5 oz floating plastic fish grippers that Derek has. It works great.

Last edited by PECo on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, couldn't make it that day. Phil gotta put a piece of pool noodle on that lipper so it doesn't sinkl to the bottom should it go overboard. Did that with my Boga Grips which are not cheap.

Jim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grips I use are called "the fish grip" or something clever like that...they are basically plastic vice grips and they actually work better than I had expected. They do float and are only around 12 or 13 bucks. I'm planning to get a digital scale to go with it and the grips have a hole to accept the scale hook then you just subtract the 5oz for the grips. Or you can set a tare weight on the scale...either way works.
Fishface

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Phil, Derek It was a pleasure to fish with. Being that I do must of my fishing solo its nice to share the water with some good people. My little add is that once the sun was up all my fish were all tight on the banks, under any overhanging brush or tree limbs. If I'm not mistaken Derek's PB came from under the same bush I had pitched under. All in all it was a nice trip.

Tim
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was nice meeting and fishing with you too Tim. Yeah my fish came from under the same bush as yours. You picked up the quicker fish with your cast and I ended up with the slower bigger one Wink just luck of the draw.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: CORRECTION Reply with quote

Derek (aka DirtyDawg10) has since checked the weight of his fish gripper and it weighs 4 oz, instead of the 5 oz we thought it was. Therefore, his personal best largemouth bass is 2 lb 4 oz, not 2 lb 3 oz! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmao!! I need every ounce I can get right now...or I just need to catch a bigger one tomorrow.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohooo!!! Now we're getting into the lunker category!! Wink Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: