CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Bashan Lake 5/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Bashan Lake 5/4 Reply with quote

We tried Bashan for the first time today. Weather was nice, but windy. We were on the water at 7:00AM and off just after noon.

I have read that this lake can be a tough fish. Today, however, it was great. Well, great for me at least...Bill, not so much, but we all have bad days.

I hooked a nice 15" rainbow trout on one of my first casts after just entering the lake proper out of the little stream where the boat launch is. A trout was NOT was I was expecting, especially on a chrome/blue rippin' rap, but I'll take it! I haven't caught a trout in over 20 years, so feeling the constant, rapid tug, tug, tug was different and very fun.

I had the rippin' rap tied to my Stradic 3000FJ/Procyon setup, which I use for cranking. I was excited to use the rippin' rap as I was reading that Bashan is more rocky than weedy.

After finally getting to a less-windy area and working the rippin' rap for a bit, I switched to my new Stradic 3000Ci4+/St. Croix soft plastic setup, with a green pumpkin 4.5" Strike King coffee tube rigged on a 1/8 oz. Yamamoto Insider head jig. That was the hot setup! I caught 6 largemouth with it on the day, spread out on different parts of the lake, at different times and under both cloud-covered and sunny skies. Nothing massive, all less than or equal to 2 lbs. The first of which was a nice fat-bellied female.

One of my goals for 2014 was to learn soft plastics. As I've said here before, I'm a crank, jerk, swim, spinnerbait and topwater guy. The slow, finesse technique required for soft plastics has never interested me. But I knew I had to learn it eventually. Today I was in a positive, patient mood in a non-weedy lake and I committed to the tube. And boy did it pay off! I didn't care about the size or the fish, or lack thereof, but I feel really god knowing I can catch bass with the tube. Very cool!

As for my impressions of Bashan, it is clear, as others have mentioned. It is rocky and not very weedy, which I love. I really don't care for excessively weedy waters. There are lots of drop-offs and docks to work too. The only thing I feel I didn't accomplish was to catch a smallie. But even though they are listed as living in Bashan, some of the locals I talked to indicated that the smallies that are there aren't very large. I'll be back to Bashan for sure; its my kind of lake.

We saw water temps between 53-55 degrees. The largemouth were "on" there today, especially as the sun rose and warmed the water and shallow rocks. They were hungry and were hitting. I also caught one on my Yozuri 3DB jerk, and Bill's lone fish was caught on his clown jerk. I also missed some additional fish. I know it's only one trip, but I think the largemouth are finally in gear this Spring.

Oh, and one more thing...Now that I'm a soft plastic "pro", I need to learn to actually set the hook! I'm so used to lures with 2-3 trebles which don't really require a hook set, that I lost a few today because I didn't think to really set the hook. Oh well.

Can't wait to get back out there!

-Eric
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature on candlewood was 55 for me. Last weekend on squantz was 51 so its slowly increasing. Find those spots that warm the quickest and its game on. I'm the opposite of you I feel like the constant cast and retrieve very quickly only gets the territorial or very hungry fish rather than the big guys lurking around. But all in all good day!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished Bashan from the shore across the street from my cottage this morning, probably saw you guys out there. I love the lake, though our cove gets really weedy mid-Summer. None the less, awesome Bass lake! Glad you enjoyed it and had some good catches!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two trout that I caught hit a lipless crankbait, too. That was last November on Candlewood, when the water temperature was 47 to 48 degrees. I had marked them suspending near bait balls and thought, hoped really, that they were smallies.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing huge about, but lots of action at Bashan last night. This 2.2 pounder was the largest and my first catch of the year at the lake. Also the first time I've caught anything from shore since our beaches dock isn't in yet. Looking forward to getting out in the kayak to do some fishing on the lake this weekend!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: