CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Bass and water temps Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Bass and water temps Reply with quote

I'm new to bass fishing and was just wondering if someone could give me a quick lowdown on what the water temps tell you? I see you guys all talking about it and feel left out Smile I know it must come from experience and no secrets are required in your responses I just would like to know in general. Does it effect the type of lure you throw? The color? or does it just change your presentation and retrieve?

I've picked up a few things just from reading here and some fishing publications...like slowing down a retrieve when it's early spring and water temps are cold. I still feel like I'm missing something. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the guys with boats use the water temp alot, Put usually in the spring a lot of bass are closer to shore in the warmer water.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temperature early and late in the season give you clues as to what "stage" the fish might be in. Small mouth bass will move shallow to spawn when the water reaches the high 50's to low 60's. Largemouth like the temps a little warmer. They will move shallow when the temps reach the low to mid 60's. Colder water temps in the spring usually dictate that you throw slower moving baits, as the cold fish will not move as far or exert as much energy to eat a bait. Fall is a little different, especially if you are on a river. There is much more to it, but those are the basics without getting too crazy or technical.

Hope that helps..........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slimecoat wrote:
Water temperature early and late in the season give you clues as to what "stage" the fish might be in. Small mouth bass will move shallow to spawn when the water reaches the high 50's to low 60's. Largemouth like the temps a little warmer. They will move shallow when the temps reach the low to mid 60's. Colder water temps in the spring usually dictate that you throw slower moving baits, as the cold fish will not move as far or exert as much energy to eat a bait. Fall is a little different, especially if you are on a river. There is much more to it, but those are the basics without getting too crazy or technical.

Hope that helps..........

Agreed, but you can disregard all of that info after 6 p.m. Throw a topwater lure in some calm water, and twitch it.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. So it's mainly for locating where the fish might be holding so you can track them down easier. Makes sense.

So I would assume that when the weather is HOT like in late July or August the fish head to deeper waters or maybe shallow shaded waters around or under structure? Can I also assume that they would be located on the sunny side of a lake or pond at this time of year as opposed to the shady side?
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alot of the time in the summer you can catch Bass under almost any type of structure and along weed lines for the most part.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Thanks for the info. So it's mainly for locating where the fish might be holding so you can track them down easier. Makes sense.

So I would assume that when the weather is HOT like in late July or August the fish head to deeper waters or maybe shallow shaded waters around or under structure? Can I also assume that they would be located on the sunny side of a lake or pond at this time of year as opposed to the shady side?

Your "assumption" is correct for the most part, but keep in mind that there are statistical anomalies. The BIG bass get that way because they avoid being caught. They may feed during off-hours, only feed in deep water, or stay shallow in a densely weeded area that humans would have trouble reaching. Even though you should be "fishing slow" right now, there are bass who will slam a buzzbait if one should whiz by.

Pads are sparse but will be covering water at a fast rate. I've gotten some strikes on frogs already this year. Smile Get yourself some 50 lb. braid and a few weedless frogs. There don't need to be pads present to use a frog...just cast as close to land & structure as possible.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
stumpy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temps this time of year are important. dont forget on your console and trolling motor you are getting a surface reading. thats not what the actual temp is say 5 feet below the surface but it gives you an estimate. Also for looking bass to move up into the shallows the temp should be consistent, meaning if you are in the shallows and it said you have a temp of 62 degrees but if you sit over say 15 feet of water and temps are in the 50's still, then there is a chance that they didnt move up yet. just my 2 cents
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a new pond today and there are fish on beds :eeeeeeeeeeeeeek:
Dont ask where

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it, with the very early warm stretches of weather this spring, the fish will be on beds earlier than usual.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
Get yourself some 50 lb. braid and a few weedless frogs. There don't need to be pads present to use a frog...just cast as close to land & structure as possible.

I did get myself a frog the other day to try out on some pads one of these days. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
TurtleKiss wrote:
Get yourself some 50 lb. braid and a few weedless frogs. There don't need to be pads present to use a frog...just cast as close to land & structure as possible.

I did get myself a frog the other day to try out on some pads one of these days. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Plenty of pads at the 1860 Reservoir and you don't even need a boat to reach them.

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...over by the bridge right? Did you have any luck over there the other day? I work in Wethersfield so I'll have to head over there one of these days after work. I've been there at lunch time before but the bite doesn't seem to be very good then.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Yeah...over by the bridge right? Did you have any luck over there the other day? I work in Wethersfield so I'll have to head over there one of these days after work. I've been there at lunch time before but the bite doesn't seem to be very good then.

No bridge...you're probably thinking about the Wethersfield Cove. The 1860 Reservoir is #27: http://wethersfieldct.com/government/maps/recreational-facilities#1860_reservoir

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...there's a little wooden foot bridge right next to the spillway on the east side of the res.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: