CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Bass fishing with live crawfish
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lforner01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Bass fishing with live crawfish Reply with quote

I grew up fishing the lakes in upstate New York fishing for smallmouth bass with live crawfish. All of the bait shops in the Adirondack region sold them. Does any one know anyplace you can buy them here ? They are the best bait I have ever used for smallies .
Dozer02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any bait shops in Ct. that sell live Craws. You may be able to order some though, can't hurt to ask. I do know that you can get them easily enough at whatever lake, pond or river you intend to fish. There's no better way to "match the hatch" then to obtain your live bait from the place you intend to use it. I once used live Crawdads in Ft. Meyers Florida. They caught bass very well but I gut hooked 3 nice bass in a row using them, so I quickly went back to my artificial's. Whenever I intend to use a Craw imitation, like a jig or plastic Craw, I just look to the shoreline of wherever I'm fishing for some partially submerged rocks and slowly roll them over, there's always a craw or two under them that I can observe for color/size reference, I don't see why you can't do the same thing, just grab them before they scoot away. You can also use a Crayfish trap and catch as many as you need for a weekend of fishing. I never used live bait on Smallies, I'd be too afraid of foul hooking them, downsized crankbaits, spinners and tube jigs among others, have always worked especially well for my Smallie needs.
IceAddict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe's Bait and Tackle in Windsor Locks used to carry them. I haven't been there since icefishing , so I can't tell you for sure.
Johnno815

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecticut Outfitters in weathersfield has had them when I was there. I would call first.
Jerry'sKid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franks's Live Bait & Tackle in Marlborough, CT carries them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: