CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson 05/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Batterson 05/12 Reply with quote

I fished Batterson from 8:30 AM to 1:00 PM. I discovered that wet, cold hands will make me feel cold in low to mid-40 degree weather, even if I'm bundled up pretty well. I think I left the water just as mild hypothermia was setting in. I started shivering right after I got out of my kayak.

I landed six largemouth bass:

14-inch, 1 lb. 3 oz.
14-inch, 1 lb. 7 oz.
15-inch, 1 lb. 8 oz.
14-inch, 1 lb. 7 oz.
10-inch
12-inch

I had several similarly-sized bass jump the hook at the kayak. I also saw a foot-long yellow perch that followed my lure (a wacky-rigged five-inch worm) all the way to the boat. I spent a lot of time messing with tackle today, so don't read too much into the rate of my catch. I tried a drop shot and a swimming worm jig, but only caught fish on the wacky-rigged worm.

I'm a catch and release guy (well, except for stocked trout; yum!), but I ended up keeping the second 14-incher I caught. It had pretty much swallowed the hook, and couldn't swim away after surgery to remove it and a couple minutes of resuscitative efforts be me. No, I didn't try mouth-to-mouth. I ended up taking it home, filleting it, dusting it with salt, pepper and Wondra flour, and pan-frying it in salted butter. It was the decent thing to do. Would you have done anything differently? And, yes, it was absolutely delicious.

I was approached by a couple of younger DEP guys right before I left the water. I think they were parked in the lot for about an hour in their green DEP pickup truck that was towing an aluminum outboard. They left the lot when I did. They asked me whether I'd answer some questions in a survey they were taking.

They wanted to know whether I caught anything and what it was. They asked how I felt about possibly designating Batterson a trophy bass lake. They wanted to know whether I had ever caught any walleye there. They wondered whether I knew the DEP stocks Batterson with four- to six-inch walleye in the Spring. Oh, and they asked me for the Conservation ID# on my fishing license.

All in all, I was happy to see the DEP on the job. They recommended Ball Pond in New Fairfield to me. They said they recorded a 26-inch largemouth bass during their electrofishing survey there earlier this year. They also said Ball Pond is "cartop only", meaning no trailered boats or motors.

@Moderator - BTW, I'm confused about where to post fishing reports (e.g., Lake Reports or Bass Reports). I think Bass Reports might be a little redundant.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report, Ball pond is a great fishery, No motor at all. but you can trailer your vessel . Don't catch the carp they are protected

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Pete, I guess I could trailer my little kayak if I wanted.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the DEP's info on Ball Pond:

http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=382826&depNav_GID=1620
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: