CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson 4/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Batterson 4/27 Reply with quote

Wind. Lots of wind. Probably not the best day to learn how to use my first baitcaster, but I did fine with it - casted far & smooth with no backlash nightmares to report. What am I doing wrong? Laughing

I fished from shore in my waders because of the aforementioned wind. Next couple of days are supposed to have gusts up to 45 mph. BTW, my partner only caught a rock bass on a spinnerbait about 8 inches from shore. We each had a secondary rig on the bottom too...he had trout worms and I had catfish Powerbait. NOTHING.

Did I mention that it was windy?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least you got some practice in with the baitcaster. What rod, reel and line are you using?
AustinB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better term for backlash is "professional overrun" Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Well at least you got some practice in with the baitcaster. What rod, reel and line are you using?

30 lb. braid on a 6'3" Pfleuger "Lady Endeavor." I doubt any of you have one since the reel is PINK.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AustinB wrote:
A better term for backlash is "professional overrun" Laughing

Haha, I'm no professional. I had one minor issue with the spool, but nothing that couldn't be fixed quickly. I've got nails, so picking the line out was simple. I overloaded the thing with braid like crazy too.

I want another baitcaster to replace my oldest spinning combo. Will trade original abstract art for one...PM me if interested...

Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha i bought one of those for my girlfriend, its actually a really nice set up
On twenty-pound test "
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kira, you did put mono backing on your spool before the braid went on right??
The proper way to put braid on your baitcasting spool would be to put mono backing on first and then put braid on the rest of the way usually 1 1/2 times your longest casting distance. Braid has a nasty habit of undercutting itself therefore more birds nest. With mono backing you're reducing the amount of braid on your spool thus reducing the chances of tangles and also saving yourself money because you're not putting so much braid on. Wink Very Happy
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkeeterJim wrote:
Kira, you did put mono backing on your spool before the braid went on right??
The proper way to put braid on your baitcasting spool would be to put mono backing on first and then put braid on the rest of the way usually 1 1/2 times your longest casting distance. Braid has a nasty habit of undercutting itself therefore more birds nest. With mono backing you're reducing the amount of braid on your spool thus reducing the chances of tangles and also saving yourself money because you're not putting so much braid on. Wink Very Happy

Jim...I didn't use the mono backing, but yes, I knew it was recommended. FYI: Women never listen. I just used arbor tape and loaded the spool with 30 lb. braid. I've only had 2 bird's nests that I'd call "pretty bad" but I haven't needed to break my line or resort to swearing violently at the reel yet. Having nails helps a lot! Just got another low-end baitcaster yesterday...this one has a left hand retrieve, which I figure should be no big deal. I don't think it's going to cast as nicely though. I put 50lb. Spiderwire Invisibraid on it, which has a waxy coating that I absolutely hate. It's noisy compared to the uncoated 50lb.green braid. After I see how it does on the water I'll make changes if necessary. My spinning reels are getting very little use these days. I can't understand why so many people need practice plugs and/or get frustrated with the baitcaster. Thank you for the advice though...it will probably take some huge bird nest catastrophe to get me to try the mono thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: