CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Batterson and the rain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Batterson and the rain Reply with quote

I decided to try some topwater bass action this morning.
I used my jr spook and on my first cast i hooked up.A small bass about 8-9 inches and not worth taking a picture of.
I walked down the eastern shore and caught another small bass.
After no action for a while i tied on a strike king coffee scented pumpkin colored goby.Unweighted and weedless.I took a few casts and caught another small bass.
I headed back towards the parking lot and stopped in the last spot on the eastern shore.I cast my line out,let it sink then twitch,twitch,twitch,twitch,WACK! Something heavy feeling grabbed it then went straight into the weeds.
After finally working it out and to shore (covered in weeds)i uncovered it to find a VERY PLEASANT SUPRISE. A WALLEYE!Only 17 inches Awe man.
But all in all.It is my first one.Definitely won't be my last.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congratulations on your first walleye. Very Happy

I was just about to write a non-report Rolling Eyes about my skunky outing at Batterson last night. And it wasn't just MY skunky outing. I was there from 7:00 pm to midnight with TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and Basstrapper (aka Will).

Although the wind was blowing pretty briskly from the north when we launched, it quickly decreased as the sun went down, until it died completely. We had only the light from the stars and the crescent moon to the west. A large volume of water flowed into the pond from the creek in the southwest corner. The water was murky with zero visibility. The water temperature was 66.7 degrees when we launched and fell to 65.7 degrees by the time we left. In spots where the water was 10 feet deep or more, I saw a clear thermocline on my fish finder at a depth of nine feet.

None of us caught a thing. Crying or Very sad Kira had a good hit on a buzzbait and I had a good bite on a Green/Yellow 2-5/8 inch Koppers LIVETARGET Hollow Body Frog, but missed the hookset. I spoke with a couple of guys in a canoe who were there at about the same time as we. When we spoke, they had boated only a white perch. In addition to the LIVETARGET frog, I threw a Bullfrog Zoom Horny Toad on a Number 4 Gamakatsu Offset Shank Worm EWG (i.e., Extra Wide Gap) hook, a wacky rigged Green Pumpkin with Red Flake five inch Gary Yamamoto Baits Yamasenko (aka Senko) with an O-ring on a Number 4 Octopus Circle hook and a black Strike King Midnight Special spinnerbait. I also trolled a Perch Rapala Jointed Shad Rap JSR05 around the entire pond and three times around the submerged island at a depth of about eight feet. Although I was tempted to tie on a crappie jig to just catch something, I really enjoyed just pedaling around the pond on a beautiful night in my Hobie Pro Angler, The Other Woman. I guess that we went too early and caught the fish in a pre-storm funk. I'm glad that they came out of it for you. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your first walleye! Your finger must be all torn up after holding it like that Razz
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it sounds like you guys really worked that place last night.I feel very fortunate.
I was going to go last night but for some reason went this morning.

As for my finger.I'm fine.i didn't have my grips with my and would rather risk getting my finger mangled over gilling it and causing injury.I was careful to straddle the teeth and pinch the middle tounge area.
I have lipped a 41 inch northern pike before.It's about time i risk shedding blood for all the fish i catch.
Now to get one that is a keeper.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: