CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Batterson Park Pond 7-1-11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Batterson Park Pond 7-1-11 Reply with quote

Didn't have to work today so I was able to get a few hours in at the pond.
Fished from 3:30 to 6:30 PM. Skies were partly overcast and temp was in the 80s. It was an absolutely gorgeous day out there other than the wind which just seems to always be ever so present at BPP and always blowing in the opposite direction of where you want to go. I tried out a few different patterns and techniques and lost a few fish trying to drop shot, didn't pick anything up on curly tail grubs or senkos today. Looked like again the hot item was the Rapla silver minnow. I caught a few perch and a spunky little LMB on it. The bass I caught was under a foot long but he flew out of the water 3 times and gave some crazy head shakes. I couldn't find his momma but hopefully I will find her soon and maybe catch him again when he gets bigger! Very Happy

Here's a few pics from the day:

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool

Just one more cast...
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I was out there last night with Mark and I think we might have passed you when you were on your way in. We got there between 5 and 5:30. I caught one of everything except for a largemouth. A walleye, yellow perch, white perch and two rock bass. The wind died down after the sun started to go down and the lake was like glass. It was a nice night to be out and we even had a few fireworks after dark. The bite wasn't great. Between the two of us Mark landed the only largemouth after dark on a frog.
slim2043

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you guys in yaks fishing the back end of the pond when I saw you? What did you catch the walleye on? I still haven't bagged one there but I plan on making a few more trips there this summer since it is so close to me and having a brand new yak I try to get out at least once a week. Have a great 4th guys! Maybe I'll see you on the water again soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was us. I was in the blue inflatable. Were you the one I spoke to briefly and you said you had caught a small bass and some perch I think?

Anyway I caught all my fish on a similar lure to what you were using. It was a small silver minnow bomber square bill. I wasn't expecting to catch a walleye on a shallow diver but I'm not complaining. I went out there with the goal of catching a walleye and just when I gave up and started targeting bass I caught a walleye. Go figure!
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that was me. Thx for the info.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the walleye Derek caught:

We stayed on the water till around 10PM to get our first taste of night fishing. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it yet. In some ways its very eerie and take some adjusting to, but I really didn't realize how beautiful its gets with the stars out and the fireflies lighting up the trees. Would love to give it a try again sometime. Here is a picture of my first nighttime bass:

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that little bugger...lol. It was a 15" and keeper size was 18". It looks even smaller in that pic. I have to say I wasn't a huge fan of the night fishing. It was peaceful and the fireworks and fireflies were definitely cool but my problem was seeing the shoreline. There was absolutely no moon out and after throwing my lure in the bushes a couple of times I was getting frustrated. We were literally fishing blindly. You normally can target laydowns and overhanging bushes during the day but it was so dark there was no way to see anything. It was even tough to see how far the shoreline was at times.

I'd probably give it a try again but not sure if I'll ever be a fan of night fishing. I just remembered that I did catch one of my rock bass on a black jitterbug which was the second fish I caught after dark. My first fish after dark was the white perch on the silver crank. Fish were rising all over the place coming up for bugs. I wanted to see what they were so I cast my lure in there and pulled out a perch. I probably could have caught tons of perch if I had the right setup.
slim2043

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Do you know if there is a posted time you have to be out of there? I'd like to go for walleye and bass at night there. Gotta remember my headlamp! If you guys plan another trip there let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you can fish all night there if you want. But you can't hang out in the parking lot after sundown. The police seem to patrol the lot very well. As Mark and I were putting our gear and kayaks away an officer stopped in and asked how we did and gave Mark a nice spotlight while he was tying down his yak. It was a big help actually. I'll let you know if I ever head out at night again. I'd probably plan for a full moon night if I did it again Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: