CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Batterson Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave_376

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Batterson Questions Reply with quote

I am looking for info on Batterson. How is the launch, can you launch a bass boat there? I read that no gas motors but I want to know about first hand experience about having one on the boat, I tried to fish Crystal in Southington but they wouldn't let me launch.

How is the shore fishing?
PECo

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the DEP's page on Batterson Park Pond in Farmington:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2686&q=382842&depNav_GID=1620

I ran into a couple of younger DEP guys there earlier this year. They told me that the DEP stocks it with walleye annually. They said an older guy told them that he pulls dozens of keepers out of there every year. There's a submerged island near the center of the pond. The DEP guys said a good spot for walleye is the deeper area to the south and west of it.

Besides panfish, I've seen only largemouth bass and yellow perch in there. I've caught quite a few bass along the western and northeastern shores from my kayak, half of which were in the 14- to 16-inch range.

You'll see people fishing from the shore of the pond on the south end adjacent to the boat ramp. I've read on this site that shore fishermen catch some monster catfish there, but I've never seen one. I've also read that there are pickerel or pike in there. I've seen evidence of predation on some of the bass I've caught, but I haven't seen the predators.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the DEP guys were very clear about no engines on the pond. When I saw them, they had an aluminum outboard on a trailer behind their truck and pointedly mentioned that only the DEP and the town of Farmington could use engines on the pond. Trolling motors are OK, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a plastic bag on the outboard and yip tie it closed. That should be good.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even have to do that. just don't start your big motor. i put my bass boat in there all the time with no issues. The launch is VERY shallow though.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's big fish there. I live about 200ft from the place. Went last year fishing off the dam next to the runoff into the brook. My bro-in-law snagged a perch and something big came up and hit the perch 4 or 5 times. 2yrs ago a guy pulled out a 38in pike. The pics are NB Bait Shop if he's ever open. About 11 o'clock from the ramp about 150 yrds out is that submerged island. Fish the backside of it facing the beach.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies. it sounds like it may work out.
heavyweight80

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a question. Do the cops break balls if you go fishing there at night,specifically from shore. I know some of New Britains finest hang out there and I'm not talking about the pigs.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never been busted or harassed fishing at night as long as you are fishing... Walleye fishing for me has only been at night for me unless im at my camper on lake Ontario...
Phish

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can launch with a bigger engine, you just can't use it. I used to take my Alumacraft there with a 50HP and talked with the DEP guys as I was pulling out and they never said I was doing anything wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: