CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Beach Pond 9/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Beach Pond 9/26 Reply with quote

Phil (PECo) and I headed out to Beach Pond in Voluntown, CT / Rhode Island yesterday to check out some new water. We arrived at around 6:30am and left about 2:30pm I think. It was a long day on the water. As is always the case when we head somewhere new we ended up paddling most of the lake to check everything out and we mostly worked the shoreline throwing buzzbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and of course senkos.

When we first arrived the water was calm and fog covered the entire area. Here's a pic of Phil as we were heading South East.

We worked the area around the launch and didn't end up picking up anything so we decided to head South East toward some boulders that were sticking out above the water. We tried out some cranks and I think Phil threw a small buzzbait but we didn't pick up anything there either. We headed North West all the way up to the dam and on our way up fished some laydowns and docks. I picked up my first and only keeper (12") off a big laydown that must have been from Irene because it still had all of its leaves intact.

A bit further up I picked up a small 9" smallie under some boat docks.

We circled the cove where the dam/outflow was but neither of us got anything. We decided to high tail it out of there and give the South side a try. We both tied on some crankbaits and started trolling South East. On our way down Phil heard the Sound of water rushing into a cove on the SW side so we turned in. I picked up a short LMB and saw a bunch more but nothing of any size. We started heading South again and I tied on a smaller cranbait to see if I could troll for some trout but again...NOTHING! Phil and I worked the shoreline along the North side of route 165. We saw about 3 million sunnies and Phil caught one 11" LMB. I think it was his first of the day.

We portaged our yaks across Rt 165 and fished the Southern most part of the pond. Phil immediately picked up another 11" LMB off the rocks along the edge of the road. We headed South along the East shore. There was a nice area with some rocks in about 4 to 6 ft of water. I started throwing my crankbait and dragging it through the rocks but only picked up a short pickerel that spit the hook at the boat. I think Phil got a couple LMBs in there. At the Southern tip there was an area of pads that Phil was frogging and I decided not to tie one on. I just kept fishing the edge. I picked up a small LMB on a laydown probably only 8" or so and then headed up the Southwest shoreline.

I was throwing my senko at this point and trying to pick up fish off the edge of some pads. Phil was throwing a frog and a senko. I picked up another short and Phil caught at least one on a frog. He had a few others he caught but I'm not sure exactly what. He'll have to fill that part in. We fished the rest of the South side and portaged back across the road...trolled back to the launch and left. It was a tough day. I would say the Pond is crystal clear and is a lot like a McDonough or West Hill where the fish were probably hanging deep and we were fishing mostly shallow and checking the place out. All of my fish came on the wacky senko. I think Phil's fish all came on a senko as well with the exception of his frog fish. We still had a good time despite the lack of fish. If I go back it will be with a fish finder so we can locate some structure in the depths and pull up some real fish.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DD and Phil!

You guys spend good gas money and drive all the way to Beach Pond and fished for Bass ??????? Rolling Eyes
Beach is hammered and do mean hammered by the R.I. bass boys because they don't have anywhere near the number of lakes and ponds as Ct. has.

And you didn't even try to fish for the Walleye or Atlantic Salmon in it Question Shocked

Thought Walleye was your favorite fish to eat Phil ? Very Happy

DD -> There is a depth chart of Beach in the Ct. Angler's book.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
chud059

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report, I've always wanted to fish that area, I don't mind driving to check out waters I've never fished before. Last summer I used to take rides up to Winsted area also down route 2 to Norwich and up 32 back to 44/6 to manchester. It's nice no matter where you go with a good friend.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trolling was intended to pick up walleye and or trout but it didn't happen. We were dragging deep diving baits hoping to get some hits. I think live bait would probably perform better at this pond. Especially for the walleye.

Unfortunately the depth charts won't help much with locating underwater structure like rock piles and such.

Last edited by DirtyDawg10 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DD,

Yeah! But you can put a mark on the chart where you find them!

That's how I do it -> Then I have a visual record!

SeaDog1
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Sonofb*!@# Pond Reply with quote

Neither Derek nor I did any research before we headed out to sunny Beach Pond (aka Sonofb*!@# Pond), so we really weren't prepared to fish the clear water and weedless rocky bottom. We didn't even check the Angler's Guide until after we were out on the water. Smallmouth bass and walleye? We had no idea. The weather forecast was for mostly cloudy skies, but after the fog burned off, none of the clouds in the sky seemed able to get in front of the blazing hot sun. But it was nice out there for a while:

We checked out most of the shoreline as we paddled slowly around the pond:

Yeah, we didn't want to get ticketed for speeding. Rolling Eyes I didn't get a bite until almost 4-1/2 hours after we launched. Here's the 11 inch largemouth bass that I boated in the main body of the pond with a wacky rigged Senko:

It was the only fish that I got on that side. We portaged over Route 168 to the smaller east part of the pond soon after we got there:

While I was waiting for Derek to launch back onto the water, I boated another 11 inch largemouth with the wacky Senko. We worked our way clockwise along the shore, which was very shallow, but got deeper as we headed further east. I boated a small chain pickerel with the wacky Senko before I finally boated a 15 inch, one pound, nine ounce keeper largemouth with the wacky Senko at noon:

I had been throwing a buzzbait and a spinnerbait all day, and tied on a frog when we paddled up to some pads on the east end of the pond. Although I got half a dozen hits on it, I missed the hookset on the only two big hits. It wasn't until Derek said, "There have to be bass in these pads", that he got a small largemouth with a wacky Senko and I got a 14 inch keeper with the frog:

Although we saw several motorboats trolling in the main body of the pond while we were on the water, neither Derek nor I got anything when we tried trolling crankbaits, spoons, swimbaits and stickbaits. While the fishing was slow and I got more sun than I thought I would, I had a great day out on the water. I'm already looking forward to next year's fishing extravaganza for Derek's birthday.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down one of CT's toughest lakes to bass fish. Great effort men!
JJay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report! & very nice pictures -
felt like i was there - Thanks Guys!
hila2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes nice job guys. Looks like a good on the water to say the least.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: