CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Big Lake Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Big Lake Fishing Reply with quote

Hey all:

Been out 3 times so far with the boat. Hit Zoar, lake housatonic and Powers for the tourney. Have only boated one fish(pickeral). Matter of fact, only had one bite. Thrown the kitchen sink at them- Trap, jerk, jig, slow rolled spinner, carolina rig.

Anybody having luck in the sub 50 degree water on larger lakes? Seems like the smaller lakes and ponds are producing. Is this due to faster warming or less pressure?

Thanks for listening.....

Brennan
Basstard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think its because the smaller ponds warm up quicker.... On sunday wetherfield res., which is very small/shallow had some areas with temps up to 54 deg.... I would try finding an area with a dark bottom....like rip rap or something... I heard that dark bottom areas warm up quicker. I have never been to Zoar or Housatonic so I dont know if spots like are availible. just my 2 cents
brennan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow: 54 degrees? That is a world of differece from 42.5 degrees last sunday.....I wonder what smaller lake like Quanni are doing. I know it is closed until opening day, but maybe it is warmer...

Where can I take a bass boat that is warm right now? Any ideas?
MIKE REZ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brennan,

go back to Powers and work that spot I was on. the water temp is up 4-5 degrees sense the day of the tourny. and the fish are sill there. THINK SLOW. slow slow slow. can't say it anough. put the fast baits away till summer.

black blue 1/2 oz jigs!!!!!!!!!!!
T_Shan BAWS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, but I've always felt the smaller the body of water, the easier it is to catch fish year round. Maybe it's becuase there's less area to cover and therefore less decisions as to where to fish. I wouldn't say it has anything to do with pressure because some of the smaller places probably get the same amount of pressure relative to their sizes (if 5 boats fish a 100 acre pond one day, then that's equivalent of 75 boats being on Candlewood). If I want to go somewhere and gaurantee I'll catch some fish, I'll always go to a smaller place. If I want to go out and learn something and challenge myself, I like to go to the larger, more pressured water bodies. Some places that might be worth checking out until everything is open again are the Moodus Rervoirs, Bolton Lakes, Pickerel Lake, Powers and any other small pond or lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: