CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Big Zoar Crappie
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Big Zoar Crappie Reply with quote

Last night we were out on Zoar for some sunset fishing. First cast before I could even get my line in the water my daughter catches the largest crappie she has pulled out of there. I didn't have a scale or tape to measure the fish so we took a shot of it against her arm. We'll measure that tonight. Caught and released as usual. The fish was caught on a 5'6" ultralight, 4 lb flouro, 1/16 nickel double cross ball head jig with a "Lady Bug" colored BPS 1.5" squirmin squirt tube (this year we have done consistently well with these). We were fishing a drop off and the depth was around 24'. No electronics or fish finders, I just watched a digital depth gauge on the dash for changes and had a good hunch where they might be...that and a whole lot of luck. I'm guessing she will want to fish that spot again!

BTW white perch are all over the place on the lake now, small but aggressive and fun for the kids. Bass have been deeper and I've been pulling them from 25-35', jigs and drop shotting with dark colors.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT A SLAB!!!!!!

That's gotta be at least 1 1/2 pounds!!!!

How long did it take for her to get it in on the UL setup?
Mr.Cranky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish and an even nicer smile!
Good job, young lady!

( and Dad too for getting her out there!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She hauled it right in Michael. It gave a little bit of a fight and some head shaking. She thought it was a smallmouth at first but it gave up too quickly. Heading back out this afternoon but I expect the weather has em down deep today. We'll bring the heavier hardware and target smallies just in case the crappie aren't cooperating.

Check out the 2014 CT Anglers guide, she might look familiar Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: