CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Bloomfield Reservoir 09/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Bloomfield Reservoir 09/12 Reply with quote

I had to drive my wife to Bradley International Airport this morning, so I strapped El Habañero onto my Saab's roof rack and checked out Bloomfield Reservoir Number 3 after I dropped her off. There isn't much information about the reservoir online, but the Town of Bloomfield's website (http://www.bloomfieldct.org/leisure_parks_pg2.php) says:
Quote:
Reservoir No. 3: (Tunxis Avenue) fishing, pond, gardens/flowers, hiking trails, passive recreation, picnic area, three tennis courts, and community gardens

There's a small parking lot next to the reservoir in the recreation area off of Tunxis Avenue (aka Route 189). The recreation area is on the east side of the reservoir. There's an asphalt path from the parking lot to the water. Most of the reservoir's shoreline is covered with dense cattail reeds that are four to five feet tall and extend four to five feet into the water. The dam and spillway are on the south side. The Wintonbury Hills Golf Course is on the west side. There are a couple of small, shallow channels that empty into the reservoir on the north end. There are only a few spots on the shore from which you can access the water. I launched at the opening in the reeds at the end of the asphalt path from the parking lot at 8:00 am. It was warm and sunny, with just a slight north breeze. I could see the bottom of the reservoir through the stained water. It's almost completely barren. It's covered with brown organic silt and there are hardly any weeds. The northern quarter of the reservoir is less than a foot deep. The rest of it ranges from two to three feet deep. It's a uniformly flat, shallow body of water. I worked my way counterclockwise around the shoreline. I had two setups with me. I had a wacky rigged five inch green pumpkin/red flake Senko tied on one and a white Strike King 1/8 ounce Tri-Wing Buzz King buzzbait tied on the other. At first, I got only a few panfish nibbles with the wacky Senko and nothing with the buzzbait. I kept expecting to find some deeper water as I went along, but never did. I began to wonder whether there were any largemouth bass in the reservoir. But after 45 minutes, I finally got a bite with the wacky Senko and boated a 10 inch largemouth:

I immediately switched to the buzzbait and got a nine incher:

I boated nine shorts during the next 1-1/4 hours, before I finally got a 14 inch keeper:

Six more shorts and an hour later, I boated a 16 inch, two pound, five ounce largemouth that ended up being the lunker:

Two more shorts and 25 minutes later, I got the last keeper of the day, which was a 13 incher:

I ended up circling the shore of the entire reservoir and boating 24 largemouth bass before I got off of the water at 1:00 pm. I got most of the fish, including all three of the keepers, off of the west shore. While it was relaxing and fun, I really don't see any reason to head back there again. If you'd like to fish it from the shore, bring your waders and just walk around in the water.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun and a lot of action like a lot of the ponds we have found this year...unfortunately nothing all that big in this one either. Needs some bass management Wink
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some chain pickerel might help. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking Billy there to fish might help too. Very Happy
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 wrote:
Taking Billy there to fish might help too. Very Happy

Hey DD,

dito on Billy ! Laughing

SeaDog1
Fishface

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Phil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: