CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Blue Crabs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Blue Crabs Reply with quote

Going to try some crabbing tomorrow. Does it matter whether I go at low or high tide?
Cd662

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few methods to do this. Are you using traps, hand lines, netting off a bridge, or walking along the edge of an area with a net? In general, moving water is good, and outgoing seems best. Avoid the high tide, you will only pick up occassional stragglers. Right before and after low is best.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up going out to clinton with 5 other people for about 2 1/2 hours. We just tied chicken legs to a string and pulled the crabs in slowly to a net. We ended up with around 30 keepers and TON of small ones. Only 3 softshell though.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 softshells is a good score!
BassRican

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went crabbing 3 weeks ago and this past Sunday; Dad and I killed them!! We were in Guilford area and on a boat. More access to more crabs. We each had 3 lines out and were non-stop catching. Lots of shorts, but many keepers. Double, triple, and quadruple headers!!! First day got 76, second day 84! We must have thrown back 60 shorts each time. Each day was a different tide. Must say that moving water is best.

Good old fashion chicken on a line with a net. No softshells, not that I care for them anyway. I did notice that some of them had softer shells when eating them. I guess thats between soft and hard shell. I hope to get out once more. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice scores. I've never tried catching them up there, but there are tons of babies swimming around the docks in Branford. Mmmm... maybe it's time to try making crab cakes.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice job! It took me two days to finish all of the crabs from our trip. I didn't realize how annoying it could be picking all of the meat out of these things! And how painful it could be either........lots of bloody fingers
Cd662

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice haul. There looks to be a lot of females - were both catches that way? I keep females so there's no critical tone intended, I'm just curious about the gender ratio so I can compare it to my recent observations.
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know which one are females and which one are males, its funny I was just talking about going crabbing with my wife last night, do you need a special license for that?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

females have the red tipped claws and have an abdomen like the one thats flipped upside down
BassRican

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first day (photo) there were more males. It just happened that the females wanted to be photographed! Laughing The second trip was more females. None had eggs in them. Crying or Very sad The eggs taste great! Bowhunter095 is correct on how to id the females. The females have longer spikes, so a smaller looking female may measure 5 inches and be a keeper!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they taste good? I want to head to the shorein thext couble of weeks, hopefully i will get a chance to do sobe crabbing as well

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
Do they taste good?

Dungeness crabs are my favorite kind of crab to eat, but that's probably because they're a lot bigger than blue crabs, so the "effort to eat" versus "fantastically delicious" ratio is much better. Laughing It takes me 15 minutes to pick all of the meat out of one blue crab. Confused Yeap, I'm slow. Wink But I still eat them, so it must be worth the effort. Very Happy If blue crabs were the same size as dungeness crabs, I'd probably go the other way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassRican wrote:
The first day (photo) there were more males. It just happened that the females wanted to be photographed! Laughing The second trip was more females. None had eggs in them. Crying or Very sad The eggs taste great! Bowhunter095 is correct on how to id the females. The females have longer spikes, so a smaller looking female may measure 5 inches and be a keeper!

I wouldn't speak of keeping egg bearing crabs publicly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: