CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Blue Crabs? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobO just walk over there and look at the crabs or be like can i measure ur guys crabs, or you know they have to be 5 inches, i have NO problem with asking people and informing them about that stuff. All you gotta call is DEP HOTLINE, they'll get there, my buddy is a DEP officer and lives a mile from there, hotline number is 800-842-HELP (4357) THats BS, its people like that who ruin it
asianfisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt the head quarters right there? robo where that trout came from?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Their right at the begining of the fishing boardwalk.
drawnon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So all this talk about blue crabs got me all fired up to give it a try. I was heading to rocky neck for a picnic anyway, so I ran out and bought a cheap crab trap to give it a whirl. I got some crabs but none were blue. It was still fun though. They all went back to the briny deep. Some butt-holes were water skiing purposely close to where we were, so we started to head to another spot when a park ranger driving down the beach yelled at us for being there after 8 pm. They said they don't allow people there at night anymore because of vandalism. We spent a few nights there last year till 1 am striper fishing. No more I guess. The old man ranger in the car was a jerk, but the young kid at the gate was cool. The ranger who unlocked the gate for us to leave gave us a few good spots where we wont get harassed. It was a fun night anyway.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x311/drawnon/FISHING%20PICTURES/RockyNeck07-06-1016.jpg
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Yeah Reply with quote

Asian crabs. That's all I got at Rocky Neck, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asian.. Got the brownie in the Farmington.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great river man.... By your end or up towards riverton.... Ive been going here instead of stripers lately... they are big in here... But the water has been so so low.... Can find fish stuck in holes, its almost like cheating....Smile
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocky neck beach and those open waters are tough for crabs, you need to find a back water way/marsh with tons of rocks thats what they love to hide under and hide in, good try tho, its fun getting out there
harleydaze316

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Blue Crabs Reply with quote

I just registered to this site. I used to do alot of crabbing with my father in Old Lyme . We spent many nights in the Great Island area between the Back Hall and Lieutenant River. I just moved back to the area and it has been quite a long time since I dipped any nets. I have heard a few reports of the sideway swimmers being around. Does anyone have any "real" evidence that the infamous blue buggers are in. I can access any place as I am fortunate to have a boat. Can ANYONE verify that the crabs are here? Can anyone let me know where is best.? I.E. , Niantic, Old Lyme, Old Saybrook......I just want to get out there and keep the memory of my father cherished and alive. RIP Captain Charlie.

Many Thanks,

Erick
cthonkerheaven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley daze I have heard from many people that there are some BIG crabs this year, this year i believe the blue crab record will be broken. My buddies have told me that there are big boys are here but no in numbers yet, give it a couple more weeks. I would love to go if your going out on a boat, I know some GREAT spots as well, I do mostly wading and netting with no bait Smile
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of tonight low tide is around 7ish so saturday night i will be going to one of my spots with canoe and spot.... you already know the game is on ive got some pics of some lemme get them on here.
mustang11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch there! They are looking strong this year.

After a break from action for the past month or so we took the boat out Saturday afternoon to crab the incoming tide. Spent about 3 hours on the water including launching and recovering and anchored in some shallow sections of the CT River south of the bridges.

Got 28-30 with the traps and nets, 24 of which were keepers which produced about 2-3 quarts of fresh crab meat for cakes and sauces.

Please note the pile of claws and legs in the front fell off in the pots cooking. We leave all attached until the cleaning and don't take extras as it shouldn't be done. It's is sad when you see undersized crabs kept and claws taken from short ones that get tossed back - there really is no need for it with plenty of keepers around if you put in the time and work.

Brian
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Talk about time and work! Reply with quote

How long did it take you to pick all of that crab meat? I hope you had some help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yummm!!
mustang11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took 3 of us about an hour and a half to pick them all. Well worth it as it's already been made into crab cakes and crab sauce with plenty left over.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: