CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Boat on saugatuck reservoir Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik3032

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Boat on saugatuck reservoir Reply with quote

I was fishing at the saugy res yesterday and saw a boat on the water with 2 people on it clearly fishing near the islands in the middle. I know boats aren't allowed on the res, but maybe they got a special pass or something?
stripertime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deep and the bait shop owners that sell the res permits get to fish the lakwe in a boat
chud059

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEEP also use gas motors when they go on bigelow hollow pond in Union. They go out to do whatever water tests they do. I've never seen them fish but they used motors to go out. At Bigelow they don't allow combustion engines.
ReservoirDog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripertime wrote:
deep and the bait shop owners that sell the res permits get to fish the lakwe in a boat

i believe its the shop the sells the most or something..
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its the owners of Newtown Bait n Tackle. He tells me a lot of great stories from fishing in a boat at that place. And a few of those stories suggest that there's a few different species that are record sized in there.
damage inc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that place is hard to fish! I need tips from any one that will give them up!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damage inc wrote:
that place is hard to fish! I need tips from any one that will give them up!

Best advice: PUT IN YOUR TIME AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED
moose444

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Saugatuck Reply with quote

* Slip bobbers and vary depth depending on time of year (deeper in warmer months)....experiment
* Use good leader material..floura is expensive but worth the investment...I tend to use light line from 4-6lb test going to 8 in low light conditions...but I know others feel comfortable using 8lb or higher just my preference...be wary of your drag system with the lighter lines...buy a good quality rod with a light tip that can absorb strong runs by big fish
* Bottom with a slip sinker also works well.
* I use large shiners...
* Throw metal...crocodiles...kastmasters etc...this is where you have to put time in...again vary depths and experiment
* Buy a few jerk type baits in perch patterns for the walleye...best early and late

As Res Dog said you have to put the time in...but a great place to do it ...good luck
Erik3032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiners aren't allowed at the saugy, you sneaky devil.
moose444

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Shiners Reply with quote

Regular shiners are allowed at the Saugy but sawbellies (alewives) are not....this just makes no sense to me as they are in the lake already and the use would up catch ratios which are low to begin with...I just don't get it as I fish Candlewood and Squantz where the use of bellies is legal...but cannot fight city hall as they say....best of luck
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shiners Reply with quote

moose444 wrote:
Regular shiners are allowed at the Saugy but sawbellies (alewives) are not....this just makes no sense to me as they are in the lake already and the use would up catch ratios which are low to begin with...I just don't get it as I fish Candlewood and Squantz where the use of bellies is legal...but cannot fight city hall as they say....best of luck
They eat eggs of fish and yes they're in there but its better to keep them out as much as possible and hope the walleyes and trout can finish them off eventually. The sawbellies are in Squantz and look how that's doing on the walleye, not too well in my opinion but I also think that's because they stock smaller walleye unlike the trout which they stock at 16'' or more sometimes and people can fish the whole lake on squantz unlike the Saugatuck where you can only fish one side of it. I don't fish the Saugatuck very often mostly because its distance and that its a hard fishery, definitely put in some time there and you'll start getting them. Its also a beautiful lake with almost no houses on or around it.
damage inc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saugy is cool looking no doubt! But it is so hard to find a good spot! I'll try the slip bobber thing. Is it better closer to where the river runs into it or further down the right side?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you ice fish the Saugatuck?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Saugy Reply with quote

As far as where to go on the Saugy I bounce around and experiment and fish where the river dumps to the upper end. When the water drops in the summer fish I fish the upper end. But there are guys that have their own spots all along the shore too. I spoke to an old timer this year who has his favorite area in the middle and said he has 2 10lb browns under his belt. If going for trout just find deeper water. The walleye for the most part are deep too but will come up shallow as the sun fades to feed on crayfish, perch etc. .....No ice fishing or night fishing on the Saugy unfortunately....Just to respectfully add to the sawbellie/Squantz/walleye comment my son and I do quite well with my biggest 8lbs. Cannot just show up you also have to put your time in here also but it is a gem of a walleye lake in my humble opinion.....Happy Fishing everybody
ReservoirDog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the reason why i love the SAUGY people give up on it. Last season and early this spring i had to deal with a group of guys that would show up way to early in the morning and set up camp and fish the causeway all day. Never saw them catch anything and they never came back... You'll see the same cars there all the time and you know those guys are catching fish.
A. they figured it out
B. they put in THEIR TIME

it took hundreds of hours for me to break that double digit walleye down there in 2010 at 12.2lbs never giving up on my spot it has produced for many times and few other spot along valley forge.

Fish slip floats and weights on the bottom and throw heavy metals..

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: