CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Bryozoan Colony?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Bryozoan Colony? Reply with quote

While fishing Twin Brooks Park Tuesday I was seeing these weird white things on submerged branches near shore.

They were white and looked like a cluster of eggs in the shape of a beehive.

Found them to be a type of bryozoan colony.

How common are these in CT and what effects do they have on the water?
therieldeal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT’S WHAT THOSE THINGS ARE!

Just googled it and saw some pictures. I’ve seen loadssss of these before at Hopeville Pond. At first I thought they were some sort of amphibian eggs… until I went back a few months later and they were all still there.

"As suspension feeders, they act as living filters in the marine environment. Using Bullivant's (1967, 1968) calculation that individual zooids may filter an average of 8.8 ml of water per day, Winston (1995) reported that colonies of Zoobotryon verticillatum located in 1 square meter of seagrass bed could potentially filter and recirculate an average of 48,600 gallons of seawater per day. "

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bryozoan Colony? Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
How common are these in CT and what effects do they have on the water?

Bryozoan colonies are very common in Connecticut's fresh waters. I see them on laydowns all over the place. I posted a photo of some in my report about the Connecticut Fish Finder kayak fishing tournament last year:

PECo wrote:

The bryozoans (aka pectinatella magnifica) are colonies of small animals and are NOT a sign of poor water quality. They consume algae, so they're actually a good thing to have in a pond.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw those once in a pond nearby, thought they were frog nests or something! Pretty weird looking things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: