CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Burr Pond 09/13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Burr Pond 09/13 Reply with quote

I took The Other Woman (aka my Hobie Pro Angler) over to Burr Pond and fished from 10:45 am to 3:45 pm. It was sunny and warm, but there was a brisk five to 10 mile per hour wind blowing from the southwest toward the boat launch ramp all day. I threw a white Strike King 1/8 ounce Tri-Wing Buzz King buzzbait and a chartreuse 3/8 ounce Strike King Redeye Special spinnerbait. They got me eight keeper largemouth bass and three shorts. Unfortunately, the lunker was only 15 inches long and weighed one pound, seven ounces. I got three keepers on the north end of the pond:

I got a couple of shorts and two keepers in the south cove:

I got a short and two keepers in the middle of the west shore:

And I got the last keeper on my way off of the water near the ramp:

I also threw a black 1/2 ounce Booyah Buzz buzzbait and a wacky rigged five inch Senko, but didn't get any hits on either of them. I didn't head down toward the dam, but pedaled all the way around the southwest cove without getting a single hit. Just when I was thinking about the fact that I didn't hook any chain pickerel all day, I hooked and shook off a 14 inch chain pickerel near the ramp.

Incidentally, I'm loving the little white Strike King buzzbait. It has become my "go to" search lure. I have it tied to 12 pound test Berkley NanoFil line and can cast it a mile. However, I don't think that the NanoFil line is worth the expense. I broke it twice when I tied it onto the spool of my reel. It doesn't seem very resistant to abrasion, although I didn't retie the buzzbait all day and didn't lose it. Rolling Eyes

The Fall feeding frenzy has begun! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job Phil!
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

I was actually just about to buy the Nanofil and someone told me the same thing. I am using Suffix 832 right now and I love it. The thing with those braids too is that they require special knots and it drives me crazy lol.

-Steve
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Steve! Berkley recommends using the "NanoFil Knot", which is just a modified Palomar Knot. Instead of tying your Palomar Knot with an Overhand Knot, you just use a Surgeon's Knot, which simply adds an extra loop to the Overhand Knot:

It's not that hard! Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see. Just an extra loop..I use the Palomar knot now when tying hooks on all the time. Smile
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, Phil! I wished I had more time when I stopped by there on Saturday.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get out there, head to the dam and drop a jig or weighted creature to the bottom. I got all of my fish in shallower water or around weed cover. The big girls must be deeper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
If you get out there, head to the dam and drop a jig or weighted creature to the bottom. I got all of my fish in shallower water or around weed cover. The big girls must be deeper.

Not necessarily so Phil. I know of two six pounders that came out of Burr that were not down by the dam. It can't hurt to try though.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the time of day makes a difference, too. I usually fish during the middle of the day. I wish that my free time were in the evening, instead. I really loved fishing from 2:30 pm to dark with Fishface (aka Tim) at Mansfield Hollow Lake the other day. The bite seemed to turn on after 6:00 pm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: