CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Butterworth Brook Reservoir 01/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Butterworth Brook Reservoir 01/21 Reply with quote

I finally met and fished with asianfisher (aka Billy). He took me down to Butterworth Brook Reservoir (not Butterwood, Billy!), which is a small pond in Hamden that ice skaters use when the nine inches of clear ice isn't covered with five to six inches of slushy snow and one to two inches of crusty snow. He knew that the ice was good there because he fishes it often and his Uncle Johnny (aka John aka The Crappie King) had fished it the day before. When we arrived there just before 12:00 pm, it was sunny and cold, probably in the 20s. There was very little wind at first, but as the day progressed, clouds rolled in and occasional gusts turned into a brisk breeze. However, the wind died down with the sun and it was calm by the time we got off the ice just after 5:00 pm. We drilled holes in the deepest part of the pond, which is near the spillover dam and only about eight feet deep. Billy also drilled holes for five tip-ups closer to the shore. I started the day by jigging up a sunny on a perch eye jig baited with a maggot (aka spike). I caught a couple more on the same jig baited with a waxworm from a can, like those hawked by Roland Martin on his show all of the time. Meanwhile, Billy landed the first of the keeper largemouth bass that he jigged up:

Here's the keeper bass that he got on a tip-up:

And here's another keeper bass that he jigged up:

Billy jigged up three keeper bass, and got the one keeper and one short on the tip-ups. Meanwhile, I was catching only sunnies on my perch eye jig (top), so Billy gave me a fire and ice jig (bottom) like the one he was using:

Billy also showed me how to rig a teaser fly about eight inches above a jig. Baited or unbaited, it catches fish. I gave the fire and ice jig a good shot, but ended up not having any luck with it. The fishing also slowed down for Billy, although he did spend a bit of time building a fire to warm us up on the ice:

I was skeptical that it would be worth the effort, but when your fingers and toes are numb, two minutes in front of a roaring fire definitely alleviates the pain for a while. Meanwhile, Billy's uncle, The Crappie King, showed up at about 3:00 pm:

I'm still not sure whether the "a" in Crappie King is pronounced like the vowel sound in "pop" or "bat" Laughing , but he began pulling up sunnies and then black crappies as soon as he put his jig in the water. He used a jig that was similar to Billy's fire and ice jig, but made it really clear that it was slightly different. . . and better! After watching John pull up a bunch of fish, I decided to switch back to my perch eye jig. John told me to bait it with maggots instead of waxworms and soon I was outfishing him. I ended up landing about 20 fish on the day, mostly on the perch eye jig baited with maggots (thanks again for those, John!). Although most of them were sunnies, I also got four good crappies and a short bass.

Thanks for a good day out on the ice, Billy! I can't wait to get out there, again. Very Happy

Last edited by PECo on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
metalfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Sounds like a good time.
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure was... Went out with Kira today... she got me i got skunked... wasnt good day for me... few flags... flags were it nothing on other side lmfao... going out tomorrow to redeem myself....
windflag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope you let that baby bass go, lol
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did kept only one... traded it for 6 crappie...
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck keeping your cell phones charged, everybody! One photo can decrease battery life by 25%. It's freaking crazy.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: