CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: buying first kayak Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPell333

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: buying first kayak Reply with quote

hey guys looking to buy my first kayak, been doing some research and had a cpl questions. One being sit in or sit on top? I will be fishing mainly smaller bodies of water (lakes/ponds/rivers)
And when is the best time of year to get the best pricing? If i hold out until the big outdoors shows that come around in Jan/Feb should i expect to get the best pricing there? Or is it just sort of luck of the draw on the sales at different places. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a first time fishing kayak I don't think you can beat the trophy beach 126 they sell at Dick's. When it's on sale you can get it for around 300 vs MSRP I think is 500. I got mine during Memorial Day Sale and I noticed it go on sale a few more times throughout the summer. You probably just missed a Labor Day price but who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The Trophy series comes equipped with dual rod holders, a cup holder and dry storage. For the price, a great fishing setup.
Megaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: kayak search Reply with quote

I would ask PHIL aka PECO...he is the Kayak source on this website and has done his homework in regard to prices/types/extras........my 2 cents....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish mostly saltwater out of a sot, but for freshwater, I think most people use sit ins. Sit ins are lighter to carry, usually cost less, and are a dryer ride.
As for SOTS, there seem to be alot more sots designed for fishing, making them easier to rig with rod holders and fish finders. They are easier to get on and off, and virtually unsinkable. If you capsize, with practice, you should be able to get back on them.
Most people will tell you to try before you buy. In the spring there are usually in water demos, and they have sale prices comparable to anthing at the winter shows. Some like Collinsville kayak also sell used at these shows on consignment where you can really save some money. I'm on my fourth year of an ocean prowler sot rental I bought at a fall show for about half the price of a new one. It was from the small boat shop in norwak, but I don't think they have the demo anymore.
Finally a good source of info and product reviews by paddlers that you can check out is paddling. net
flippy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WOULDNT BUY ONE,, not unless you have a steel back and steel ass!! Definetly try one before you buy one,,Also consider 1 that you can stand up in,, I dont see how people do it,, how can you fish for hours and some people dont even stand up,, you guys can have those yaks,, I recently purchased a canoe after being convinced I did not want a yak,, I can stand up,, take a leak plus even in a canoe your sitting up higher than a yak,, Do you guys know how important boat positioning is when fishing,, of coarse not you cant see what your fishing under the water Rolling Eyes Buy a nice little john boat
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took The Other Woman (aka my Hobie Pro Angler) out for the first time in a long time today and, yes, it was nice to get off of the water and not feel sore in any way at all. A Pro Angler is even more comfortable than standing on the back of a bass boat. The mesh seat is fantastic. Plus, since it's pedal-powered, unlike flippy, I do have an ass of steel! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buns of Steel" Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, more like Play-Doh. Embarassed But I'm working on it!

Seriously though, Jake, the Future Beach Trophy 126 that you can regularly pick up for $299.98 when it's on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods is the best sit-inside fishing kayak that you can buy new for under $300.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DD!

Your the man !
SUPER good one !

I laughed so hard and long -> My stomach actually hurt Exclamation

Even better that the Kokanee one ! Thumbs Up

Play-Doh ? Laughing

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,,,, WHAT,, You never saw the back seats to a bass boat,, there padded, super soft, they even swivel,, WHAT,,, Ya if your throwing a senko all day, it gets boring and you have to sit but damn dude,, dont go saying a yak is more comfy than a bass boat,,, WHAT,,, My, canoe is more comfy than any yak,, PERIOD,, and now I can walk front to back on my canoe,, thats 16ft,, and I have tried a couple of high quality yaks,, like I said you can have them,, I would maybe take one to the top of a snow covered mountain, and try to dodge trees with it,, but thats about it,, plus how can you affectively fish from one,,, YOU CANT,, Its like jumping into a capsule,, your inches off the water, you cant see nothing in the water, you always have a paddle across your legs, Rear seats to a bass boat are just usually in the way, most guys dont sit,, we call them PUSSY seats,, and if you ever fish from a bass boat again,, ask them if they could bring there seat,,and for you people thinking about buying a new yak,, I would find a used one,, people are getting rid of them cause they made the mistake of buying one, intsead of trying one,, you could find one cheap,,and to you yak owners,, when your loading and unloading at a state ramp,, dont park in the middle of the ramp and load or unload your capsule,, I had a guy the other day strapping in his capsule right in the middle of the boat ramp,, carry the thing to your vehicle or park off to the side,, be considerate,, people have real boats that their taking in and out of the water, and they need room,, well most of them,,
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I know that you can make the deck of a bass boat as comfortable as you want. Doesn't Bill Dance have a recliner on his? Wink My point is that the mesh seat on my Pro Angler is like an expensive office chair. It's extremely comfortable. Plus, I can stand up and fish from the Pro Angler, which I prefer to do when I throw a spinnerbait. Unfortunately, though, Pro Anglers and bass boats are way more expensive than most kayaks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

OK! As you already know I'm into stability and comfort.
But I also "LOVE" wooden boats - Quiet, stable, relatively rugged, easy to repair, and they sure do look good on the water!

Here are some unique/specilized wooden boats I particularly like, that you may want to read about.

www.blueheronkayak.com

www.kingfisherelectricboat.com
Watch videos. -> Note wide stable hull!

www.woodwatercraft.com/longboats.html
Troutsman is my pick. -> Note the seats and how you sit in it.
Electric or 2-3 hp gas motor can be fitted to stern.

flippy -> Here's an wonderful article you will like Exclamation
www.crawfordcountyavalanche.com/articles/2011/07/20/news/doc4e26eef615442763791199.txt
Note how they sit - plenty of storage area - stable!

Oh! I have to agree with you about the kayakers clogging up boat ramps, to off-load or load -> mostly fiddling with tie-downs -> get the "bloody plastic thing" up on the rack and move off to the side to do final tie-down and let others waiting to use the ramp Exclamation
I do that once I get my boat on the trailer -> Matter of simple courtesy Exclamation

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
JPell333

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: