CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: buying line at walmart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: buying line at walmart Reply with quote

for anyone that is buying line at walmart........dont!

i had some line problem and emailed the company back the info on the boxes like they asked. the boxes were 6yrs old. they looked brand new on the shelves but then again i guess if you dust then thats not hard to do......
NX 882 BASS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP,THERES PROBABLY ALOT OF STORES THAT DO THE SAME THING,ARE THERE DATES ON THE BOXES??IM SURE THE BRAIDED LINE WILL BE OK Rolling Eyes

Last edited by NX 882 BASS on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
djmon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if this trick will work for all brands.... (it so far doesn't show on my cabela's spool but something similar shows on my bass pro spool from last year)

for Berkley Products:

open the box and lift the spool out

at the bottom of the spool right below the "0.00mm" spot there should be a series of numbers and letters looking somthing like this ( K-3-3-2)

now that is off my 6lb XL Smooth Cast Pony spool that i had problems with. i also have the same code on my 4lb spool.

6lb 100% Fluorocarbon A - 13 - 8 - 3
8lb XL Smooth Cast L - 30 - 8 - 1

by what the guy from berkley/purefishing explained to me the 6lb and 4lb spools for the XL are from 2003 and the other two spools were 2008......assuming the middle number dictates what year the line was produced you should be able to figure out if its worth buying or not..... if the line is defective then thats another story aka my fluorocarbon problem.

just a thought
flippy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All companies are different but if you take a couple of packages of the same company, you can figure it out fairly quickly, as for flouro it has alot better shelf life than mono, and braid,I dont think it has a shelf life, NOW REMEMBER, these companies like Dicks and Walmart always face off their products especially spring with fishing and will always put their old stock out first or in front of the new stock, It doesnt hurt to pull a little line out and try snapping it if you can at the store, its when your at home respooling and realizing, this line keeps snapping, when you could have caught that at the store.
djmon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dicks isn't bad about turning out there stock but I checked through the boxes front to back at walmart an there a different story. Fluorocarbon does last longer an braid on the other hand should be find for a long time but it doesn't hurt to get fresh stock if you can. Speaking of braid has anyone tried the fireline braid? How does it compare to powerpro?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: