CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Can somone break down the spawn to me beginning to the end.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaMPaGeBaSsMaN

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Can somone break down the spawn to me beginning to the end.. Reply with quote

just wana know sum info i guess its starts this weekend because of the moon? Friend of mind starts fishing again after the spawn thinks it way to easy to catch fish in there beds... Is this true what do u guys do? Sorry total noob to the spawn Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, youre question "fishing the spawn from beginning to end" is the topic of numerous full DVDs and books and hundreds of articles in magazines and web sites.

I'll take a stab at getting you started and provide some additional suggestions.

Many lakes in CT are already in full spawn. In fact, smaller lakes with smallmouth bass in them maybe in post spawn already. Many smaller lakes are already in the middle of their largemouth spawn. Because of the swing in weather and fronts the pre-spawn and spawn periods have been inconsistent so far. Generally you can find smallmouth spawing as early as mid April given the right weather conditions but certainly by May 1 in most cases. Largemouth are usually a couple of weeks later but almost certainly begun by the middle of May. The spawn on some lakes lasts into the early part of June some years depending upon the weather conditions.

Generally speaking smallmouths begin their spawn when surface water temps reach the mid 50's and largemouth the low 60's. Smaller bodies of water rise in temp first because of the sheer volume of water, Shallow areas even in larger lakes rise faster (same logic). Smallmouth like rock, gravel for their main areas best. Largemouth typically like muddier bottom. Smallmouth generally bed deeper (especially the large ones). Largemouth generally shallower.

A bed looks like a large lighter colored circle under the water. Some are highly noticeable others no so much depending upon conditions (wnd makes it much tougher, sunlight makes it much easier) and depth.

Smallmouth are generally much more aggressive protecting their bed areas and therefore easier to catch. They rarely ignore a bait cast to or dragged onto their bed. Largemouth on the other hand more easily abandon their bed. They may or may not attack a bait on their bed. Sometime they are "spooked" by the bait and abandon their best returing a susbtantial amount of time later say 30 minutes. Smallmouth when the pick the bait up instead of striking at it as they sometime do. generally pick up a bait and move it off their bed making them easier to catch. Whereas largemouth often inhale the bait and exhale it giving you less time to set the hook.

Good baits to use for bed fishing are jigs, tubes, small exposed jighead worms like shakey heads. Some like drop shotting. There's a lot options. The best bait is one you can accurately get on the bed with the least disruption and one you can either easily see or feel when it is picked up. For that reason many people use white or some other bright color.

I think that's a pretty good overall description / primer

I suggest you do some research. Use a search engine and type
something like bass fishing spawn

Here's one from ESPN that came up

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_05_spawn_FHN

Also In Fisherman, Angling Edge and Bass Pro Shops all provide excellent books / videos on the topic and other similar topics.

Hope this is helpful. Fishing the spawn is one of the most enjoyable and easy times for bass fishing. Hope this was helpful and you enjoy it.

Walt
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post pappy.

Justin
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reply pappy, thanks i know i can do sum research i want the ct anglers opinion Very Happy I meen a friend of mines who been fishing for years doesn't fish the spawn at all.. sas "too easy catching those fish and he rather not disturb them" on the other hand got a nother friend that think its the greatest thing to catch um bedding that u can get really big fish . So what do u guys do? just wondering. I wasn't shore but i think im just gona go out there enjoy the good weather next week and catch sum fish and just release them quickly Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I can break this down for you: Shocked Shocked Shocked

Were am I to begin.First a male LMB searches out a female LMB.The male always prefers a female that has breeder hips so they can hold more eggs.Then the male LMB takes the female LMB to dinner usually a couple times ,because if the male LMB takes home a Female LMB after there first date.He will probably never call her again.So after the 3rd night of courtship the Female LMB offers coffee or another late night beverage to the male LMB.The red blooded male LMB graciously accepts the offer from the Female LMB.The 2 usually sit on her bed watching a movie,probably something sexy like finding Nemo or the Little Mermaid.The male LMB makes the first move by placing a fin upon her Ethmoid bone(lamina papyracea or orbital bone).Then the male LMB slowly pulls her close and makes his move on the female LMB.After some rolling in the bed the male LMB releases a emission upon the female LMB fertilizing her eggs.After that ,the male LMB is changed to the Female LMB for life or atleast 18 years because the male LMB does not want to pay child support.Could you imagine paying alimony and child support for 1 million fry.
This came directly from Micropterus salmoides.
Please let me know if I missed anything

Last edited by ploplopfizzfizz on Fri May 16, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ploplopfizzfizz wrote:
Let me see if I can break this down for you: Shocked Shocked Shocked

Were am I to begin.First a male LMB searches out a female LMB.The male always prefers a female that has breeder hips so they can hold more eggs.Then the male LMB takes the female LMB to dinner usually a couple times ,because if the male LMB takes home a Female LMB after there first date.He will probably never call her again.So after the 3rd night of courtship the Female LMB offers coffee or another late night beverage to the male LMB.The red blooded male LMB graciously accepts the offer from the Female LMB.The 2 usually sit on her bed watching a movie,probably something sexy like finding Nemo or the Little Mermaid.The male LMB makes the first move by placing a fin upon her Ethmoid bone(lamina papyracea or orbital bone).Then the male LMB slowly pulls her close and makes his move on the female LMB.After some rolling in the bed the male LMB releases a emission upon the female LMB fertilizing her eggs.After that ,the male LMB is changed to the Female LMB for life or atleast 18 years because the male LMB does not want to pay child support.Could you imagine paying alimony for 1 million fry.
This came directly from Micropterus salmoides.
Please let me know if I missed anything

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing LMAO
Pappy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love fishing the spawn as you might have guessed. On any given lake or river given the numbers involved I doubt bed fishing has much of a negative effect on the overall numbers. I cold front right after they spawn does far more damage to the fry.

If I'm fun fishing I generally put them right back. With smallies you can actually catch the same fish you released a little later. I tried it once just to see. Never seen it with largemouth. In a tourney I'll keep them and release them with the rest at the ramp. I've never had one die that I caught off a bed. In fact I've never had one die in a tourney period. I use rejuvenate, ice, etc. as well as a recirculating livewell.
RaMPaGeBaSsMaN

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Dude fizz... now i know were babies come from... Embarassed well thanks for the input guys funny and helpful .

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I can be of service.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plop, Thanks for your very entertaining version of the birds and the bees story. LOL!!! Very Happy
T_Shan BAWS

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moon phase has a lot to do with the spawn as well. Bass actually do most of their actual "spawning" at night and use the brightness of a full moon to help them see. I don't think it's as pronounced here as it is down south where water temp isn't as much of a factor. If I were looking for the "best days" of the spawning time to fish, I'd pick the 3 days leading up to the full moon (which for May is actually tomorrow).
Just4fun

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you can hit it right and get into some nice size and numbers,...I've always found that the invariably changing weather around the spawn in CT can often make the fishing tough and frustrating. If the lake has smallies,..then fishing is usually a lot more dependable, but even then a major cold front can substantially turn them off!

This year, outside of tournaments,..I've decided to turn my attention to the river because of the anual striper run, which coincides very nicely with the bass spawn! This is a local opportunity for some truly world-class fishing if you hit it right,..so it is a real nice "change-of-pace" in my season of bass-fishing! Cool
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
I wonder what it would be like if I had a kid and all of a sudden a steak+beer dropped thru the roof and started slowly moving away from me. That kid would be on its own in a heartbeat... Laughing

LOL!!! Very Happy
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plop, That was to funny..

I have the same opinion as Sevnseat. I'm with ya brother!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: