CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood Lake: Milfoil
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Candlewood Lake: Milfoil Reply with quote

This spring I was able to slam both largemouth and smallies but as the milfoil beds increasingly grow in the lake, I can't seem to figure out how to fish them. I can see the weeds slowly creeping towards shore with the majority about 30 yds from shore in some spots. Wacky rigged senkos have been OK so far but does anyone have any tips on fishing these thick milfoil beds? I feel like Im just aimlessly going around the lake looking for spots without weeds. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Candlewood Lake: Milfoil Reply with quote

FishAllDay wrote:
This spring I was able to slam both largemouth and smallies but as the milfoil beds increasingly grow in the lake, I can't seem to figure out how to fish them. I can see the weeds slowly creeping towards shore with the majority about 30 yds from shore in some spots. Wacky rigged senkos have been OK so far but does anyone have any tips on fishing these thick milfoil beds? I feel like Im just aimlessly going around the lake looking for spots without weeds. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Pitching or flipping weedless jigs into weed beds that reach the surface is the only way that I know to fish IN them. Otherwise, you can really only drag weedless topwater lures like Zoom Horny Toads across the top of them. At Candlewood during the Summer, if you can find submerged weed beds in eight to 12 feet of water, I suggest dragging a weedless weighted Texas-rigged lure like a Brush Hog (Yes, Mark, I said it Rolling Eyes) through them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PECO said. Texas rigged swim baits and super fluke (Water Melon/Red Flake, Watermelon, Green Pumpkin). Watch You Tube to learn the proper way to fish them. Weightless ad Weighted. Fish the inside and outside of the weed edge. Good pair of polarized sunglasses and you should be able to see both.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flipping/Pitching works great here for fishing IN the weeds. If you find some submerged weeds, I like to tick a squarebill crankbait over top of them, this generates some good reaction strikes. If you can find a defined weedline, especially one adjacent to deep water, definitely give that a shot. Deep diving crankbaits, football head jigs, drop shot, carolina or texas rigged worms, just about anything you can think of will produce here. You just have to figure out what the fish want that particular day.
Jjconnaire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this same problem! During the spawn was great and immediately after they left their beds was great too. I have had a particularly though time since the weeds have grown so high. I have had some luck with live bait (alewives and shiners) but they tend to swim in the weeds and get tangled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: