CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood Lake New PB 5/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Candlewood Lake New PB 5/24 Reply with quote

Site member clinteastwood (aka Brian) picked me up early Saturday morning and we drove up to Lattins Cove. Launched around 5:30am.

I brought a variety of deep divers, shallow divers, and topwaters with my 6' Berkley Lightning Shock/Fierce 3000/8 pound Sufix Pro Mix. Brian had trolling rods with casting reels and measure line. To get his lures down an extra 10 feet or so he had special leaders.

We trolled in Echo Bay and I would occasionally cast depending on how the trolling was going.

We were marking most fish suspended 15 feet deep in 20 to 30 FOW.

I started off using one of Brian's trolling rigs with a glass purple shad GFR-7 and Brian tried trolling with a silver SR-9. I switched lures often after not getting any hits for a while. Other lures I tried trolling with on Brian's setup were perch SR-9, shad SR-8, and shad MR-9. Brian tried trolling with a clown SR-7 and silver florescent chartreuse SR-7 also.

Brian got a nice hit not too long after he let the SFC SR-7 start to troll. He caught a largemouth at least 5 pounds.

While I was doing some casting with a shad JSR-4 in the shallows I landed a 9" yellow and 14" cookie cutter smallie.

Once I found out the leaders Brian had on his setups was meant for making the lure go deeper, I started trolling the SR-8 with my spinning setup so I could get it right into the strike zone. I also let Brian troll with a holographic shad SSR-7 so he could get into the strike zone while using the leader.

I landed an 11" yellow and a new PB 17" 2 pound 10 ounce smallie. Brian landed a nice 3 1/2 pound smallie. While I was battling the smallie with the 6 footer and 8 pound mono, I thought I had a big brown on until I saw it jump.

On the way back to the launch Brian took me into shallow areas no deeper than 10 feet so I could cast with the JSR-4. I ended up catching a dinky bluegill, small yellow, and my first Candlewood crappie.

We were back at the launch around 10:30am.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the PB smallie, Michael.

One thing I noticed in your photos, though, is that you need to be more careful about how you hold your fish. If you're going to hold a bass horizontally, especially a larger one, you need to use two hands or you could damage it's jaw and it won't be able to eat after you release it.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: How not to hold a hawg Reply with quote

If I was a fish, I am pretty sure I would be in pain!

Read this article mike:

http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/how-not-hold-hawg#
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: How not to hold a hawg Reply with quote

kennethshaw wrote:

Read this article mike:

Excellent article!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds Like a good day!
I have been fishing candy pretty regularly this season and its great! I have been on when there is a tournament and it does get a little annoying with that many fishermen on the lake, but still better then a day at work!!! I just picked up a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI for my boat and am hoping to put it on this weekend so I can start marking deeper fish!
Good Luck
aggiejin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there.

I'm new to the area, and I'm thinking to take some friend to Candy for fishing. Now we don't have a boat, how easy is it to fish on Candy without it? Any good spots or docks?

Any information is greatly appreciated Smile
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squantz State Park would be your best bet. The marinas there rent boats but you'll most likely need a PWC License.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbury Park also has shore access fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Squantz State Park would be your best bet. The marinas there rent boats but you'll most likely need a PWC License.

Wanna Fish,

thanks a lot! I now live in Danbury, do you know other fishing ponds around? I knew some go to the reservoir in Brewster NY, have you ever fished there?

thanks again!

jin
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not to familiar with shore fishing in that area. If you don't mind a drive you should check out Lake Saltonstal in North Haven. Awesome fishing 5+ lb'er and boat rentals. No PWC required.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I'm not to familiar with shore fishing in that area. If you don't mind a drive you should check out Lake Saltonstal in North Haven. Awesome fishing 5+ lb'er and boat rentals. No PWC required.

East Haven and Branford
FreshSaltAnyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a RWA Rec Pass or you can obtain a day pass for a small fee $5-10

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:

Guys,

thanks for the replies! I will go check these places.

jin
RLoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How not to hold a hawg Reply with quote

kennethshaw wrote:

Read this article mike:

Thanks for sharing! Although I don't do much fresh, I'm always for the preservation of big fish. I'm sure this applies to most fish that you can lip.

Definitely forwarding on to others!
jimfish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Michael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: