CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candy Jig Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Candy Jig Fishing Reply with quote

Fish caught were as small as dinks up to 4+lbs. 25 total in 6 hours.

Original intention was Bantam. Weather reports predicted strong thunder storms sometime in the afternoon so with Candy closer we headed there. On the water at 7am. Hit North Danbury Bay and start top water'ing. Blow up's but no hook ups. So we head directly into Danbury Bay.

After all the bickering in the other thread about Whacky Rigging Senkos we decide to throw a few jigs. In 10 casts the first fish comes in.

Then the second

Then we proceed to catch 10 more. Holy MothB's these things work. (8 to 12 FOW)Then my partner yells "Get The Net get The Net" I yell back Get The Fire Extinguisher Get The Fire Extinguisher" he yells back What Holy Chit "REALLY" . The trolling motor foot control is a "Flame Thrower" Major short circuit. White and Grey Smoke Sparks Flames that look like a 57 Chevy with headers. I disconnect it while he's watching me and landing a 4lb Large Mouth at the same time! Total confusion!!!! Fire Extinguisher or Net! Crisis over and not wanting to ruin a great day fishing we proceed to fish by motoring down wind and letting the wind push us.

I'm figuring it was the Whacky Voodoo stuff that jinxed me so I switch back to Whacky Rigging. Very first cast I catch this

Next cast I catch this

So now I'm thinking I really pissed someone off. So we motored from spot to spot and caught alot more fish using Jigs and Senkos.

Over all excellent day with 25 fish (Large and Small Mouth Mix.) Lost almost just as many on poor hook sets.

I'm now a believer in Jigs. But I'll still use my Whacky and Top Water Rigs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice productive day. Those last 2 fish are monsters Laughing
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish,, Now your talkin,,Looks like you had a great day,,, Awesome
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish!!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference from Sunday to Wednesday. Sunday I managed 5 in 6 hours. Yesterday we would have probably caught more but I spent an hour trying to rig the trolling motor then killed a lot of time motoring to a position to drift.

We jig'd the weed lines which were sparse. Maybe 5' wide. Unusual for this time of the year. We caught fish each time we came to a downed tree in the weeds. The whacky rigs worked in weeded drop offs. Took us a minute to figure the pattern out but once we did it was on LOL.

I definitely need to work on my hook sets. I lost quite a few on the jump. Just couldn't keep the smallies in the water.

Called the repair shop today hoping to bring the boat in. They're so busy I might not be able to get it in until Tuesday. If the boat didn't have Bow to Stern Warranties I'd be at Cabellas today.

I can't stress the importance enough of carrying a fire extinguisher on board at all times. I was about ready to give the Abandon Ship yell. When my foot started glowing orange and heard the potato chip bag crinkle I just went What The #uc& Awe Chit! "FIRE"

One time I wish PECO was there. He would have videoed the whole event. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
What a difference from Sunday to Wednesday. Sunday I managed 5 in 6 hours. Yesterday we would have probably caught more but I spent an hour trying to rig the trolling motor then killed a lot of time motoring to a position to drift.

We jig'd the weed lines which were sparse. Maybe 5' wide. Unusual for this time of the year. We caught fish each time we came to a downed tree in the weeds. The whacky rigs worked in weeded drop offs. Took us a minute to figure the pattern out but once we did it was on LOL.

I definitely need to work on my hook sets. I lost quite a few on the jump. Just couldn't keep the smallies in the water.

Called the repair shop today hoping to bring the boat in. They're so busy I might not be able to get it in until Tuesday. If the boat didn't have Bow to Stern Warranties I'd be at Cabellas today.

I can't stress the importance enough of carrying a fire extinguisher on board at all times. I was about ready to give the Abandon Ship yell. When my foot started glowing orange and heard the potato chip bag crinkle I just went What The #uc& Awe Chit! "FIRE"

One time I wish PECO was there. He would have videoed the whole event. LOL

good fish! What happened to the boat was it the trolling motor?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! The foot pedal shorted out. 24 Volts makes a lot of sparks and flames. LOL Looks as though the power and control wire worked lose and entered the pivot hinge wearing down the insulation to a point the two wires arched and welded together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Yeah! The foot pedal shorted out. 24 Volts makes a lot of sparks and flames. LOL Looks as though the power and control wire worked lose and entered the pivot hinge wearing down the insulation to a point the two wires arched and welded together.

damn not good! Isn't that the reason there is a relay attached to the main power line? Shouldn't it have tripped?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have. The fuse should have blown also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you guys were okay out there after the fire. I don't really wish that would happen to me, but I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my trolling motor to a 24 volt system. Laughing

I also decided to honor Jim by throwing a spider-type jig, today, but got only one small keeper largemouth bass with it. I caught the four pound, nine ounce lunker with a wacky Senko. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw what works for ya, you dont have to honor me,,just catch fish Wink

Last edited by flippy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I'm glad to hear you guys were okay out there after the fire. I don't really wish that would happen to me, but I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my trolling motor to a 24 volt system. Laughing

I also decided to honor Jim by throwing a spider-type jig, today, but got only one small keeper largemouth bass with it. I caught the four pound, nine ounce lunker with a wacky Senko. Wink

My son has a 17' Tracker Aluminum with a 12 volt system. The Skeet has the 24 Volt system. Performance wise the only difference I can see is the motor compared to boat weight. The 12 would definitely not push the Skeet and the 24 would probably overpower the Tracker. Plus add another 100lbs in battery weight.

I know my son considered upgrading to a bigger volt motor until I talked him into a new charging system and battery.

A new battery charger/jump starter with multiple battery modes from Walmart $79 and a new battery almost knocked me off the back of the Tracker the first time he hit the pedal. He was using a Minkota In Board Charger that proved to be worthless on a 12 volt system.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I'm glad to hear you guys were okay out there after the fire. I don't really wish that would happen to me, but I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade my trolling motor to a 24 volt system.

Me too! I think I'm going to upgrade next year and bite the bullet anyway. It would be nice to have 70-80lb thrust. I have 3 deep cycle batteries on my boat so why not! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: