CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Carpeted Trailer Bunks Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Carpeted Trailer Bunks Reply with quote

I recently noticed that my boat trailer bunks are rotten. They're soggy and warping, and one of them has mushrooms growing out of it through the carpet. After researching the alternatives to replace them, I decided to use 2 x 4 ipê (aka Brazilian Walnut), which is a kind of ironwood that doesn't rot. I also bought 24 ounce black UV stabilized ribbed bunk carpet made of 100% BCF Polypropylene Fibers UV stabilized for outdoor use. Today, NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) let me use his workshop and helped me fabricate the two bunks:

We attached the carpet to the ipê with stainless steel staples and stainless steel screws with stainless steel carpet washers. We'll put them onto my trailer tomorrow. In the meantime, the carpet I bought came in a one foot by 50 foot roll and I used less than 20 feet of it. If anyone needs really high quality boat trailer bunk carpet, I still have a lot of it.

Last edited by PECo on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice job!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Phil. Question - how did you guys get your boat off the trailer so you can work on it? Jack? I have to do some minor work on my bunks and trailer, but never figured out a safe way to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
Very nice Phil. Question - how did you guys get your boat off the trailer so you can work on it? Jack? I have to do some minor work on my bunks and trailer, but never figured out a safe way to do it.

Laughing Laughing That's Step 2, Steve. The alternatives are to jack up and block the boat or float the boat at Batterson while working on the trailer at Bob's workshop nearby. I'll let you know what works.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to get a boat sitter to watch The Other Woman, Too on Batterson Park Pond while Bob and I replaced the bunks on my boat trailer, but the sitter didn't wake up when I texted her, so Bob and I went with alternative one, and jacked up and blocked the boat on the trailer. Before we started, I unstrapped the two rear tie-downs, but left the bow tie-down attached. We put Bob's 2-1/4 ton floor jack under the keel at the stern and put two blocks under the hull and on the frame of the trailer:

Then we put the floor jack under the keel at the bow and put a single block under the keel and on the frame of the trailer:

With the boat supported above the two bottom bunks at three points on the hull and keel, I climbed underneath and saw that a wavy bunk had worn the paint right off the hull at a high spot in several places:

Here's one of the soggy old bunks:

Shrooms! Surprised Before we drilled holes to receive lag bolts in the new bunks, we used one of Bob's nifty hole punches to get bits of carpet out of the way:

Replacing carpeted trailer bunks is easy peasy! Cool It was so easy that we went ahead and also replaced the carpeting on the two guide bunks. I still have more than 25 feet of one foot wide 24 ounce boat trailer bunk carpet, if anyone needs to recarpet their bunks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new carpet looks great. I bet it will last you a long time. I'll have to do the same with jacking it up on blocks. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
The new carpet looks great. I bet it will last you a long time. I'll have to do the same with jacking it up on blocks. Thanks!

Steve, Bob said that you should send him a PM if you'd like to work on your boat at his place.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil, will do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!!
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: carpet Reply with quote

Hey peck,

I'd be interested in the carpet. My bunks are hurting as well and could use it. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the wood?

Ken
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Ken,

I got the ipê from Miner 's, which is a lumberyard at 129 River Road in Collinsville, behind the Ocean State Job Lot. They had an old load of ipê for a deck that never got picked up. I bought an eight foot length of 4" x 4". They charged me $11.00 per foot for it, but ripped it into two 2" x 4"s for free. They still had what I think was a 10 foot length of 4" x 4", so if you'd be interested in it, you should give them a call.

You're welcome to have my extra bunk carpet. Sent me a PM with your telephone number and I'll give you a call.

Phil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you eat the mushrooms?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: firehouse visit - idea Reply with quote

last year we re-did a boat with some 5 inch hose from the fire house - the hose was a great idea - the boat went on and off the new bunks very easy! the hose fit snug and water tight (if there is such a thing! - most fire houses have old hose up for grabs! we bought pressure treated 2x4's and the hose was for free. it worked perfect for us cheap-skates!
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of free, I never heard back from Ken and still have over 20 feet of trailer bunk carpeting. It's just taking up space in my garage.

Lemme know if you still want it, Ken. If I don't hear back from you, the next CTFishTalk member who could use it could have it. It would make a great off-season project. . . .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ken doesn't get back to ya I'll pay you for it. My son is in need of a bunk replacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: