CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Check This Out!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slim2043

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Check This Out! Reply with quote

It's called an Alabama rig...

http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/its-new-its-different-its-alabama-rig

http://thealabamarig.com/

it looks pretty deadly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that legal in CT? Probably not right cuz of all the hooks? That thing is sick lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure. I know it's been fished in tourneys but not in Tennessee because they have regs against having 3+ hooks on a rig and only one hook on an umbrella rig. CT??? I'm not sure. I've used umbrellas off block island for Stripers but never inland for anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

You guys are trying to start a fight, aren't you? Laughing

The regulations regarding Sport Fishing in the Inland District (http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/regulations/26/26-112-21through48.pdf) state (in pertinent part):
Quote:
26-112-43. Definitions and restrictions

(a) "Angling" means fishing with hook and line which shall be personally attended, but shall not include ice fishing or snagging or snatching. Not more than two lines, with or without rods, may be used at one time. Each line may have any combination of hooks, flies or lures, among which not more than three hooks may be baited.

(b) "Bait" means any animal, bait species as defined in Section 26-112-45(d) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, fish eggs, insect or vegetable, or parts thereof, living or dead, except for certain nuisance aquatic invertebrates as provided for in section 26-55-5 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies, used with a hook for the purpose of attracting and catching fish. Any fish legally acquired, except black bass (largemouth and smallmouth), chain pickerel, northern pike, trout, charr, salmon, carp and goldfish may be used as bait, except as provided in section 26-112-48(b) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies.

(o) "Hook" or "fishhook" means a curved, pointed device, with or without barb, used to catch fish. Hooks may be single, double or treble and each point shall be considered as a single hook.

In simple terms, you can have only one or two lines in the water at a time, and each line can have as many hooks or lures as you want, as long as not more than three hooks are baited.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil!

So no CT AL rig lol. Idk about you but I couldn't pick which shad I rigged with hooks when I could only rig 3 out of 5. The duress would lead
Me to set fire to said Alabama rig.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that clears it up. I figured that was the case. Not like I would use that rig anyway but it looks pretty diesel!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the definition of bait in Phil's post. Those hooks are NOT baited per the definition so you could use an AL rig as long as you use plastic swimbaits.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Alabama rigs are legal in Connecticut, as long as not more than three hooks are baited. Whether they're "sporting" is another question.

Every recreational angler has to decide what they think is sporting for them. While I certainly don't begrudge open water bait chuckers their bait, it's just not for me. At least not yet. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you have been saying "Not yet" lately about bait. Nice!!!! Come over to the dark side! Laughing You can always start by dragging a bait while you cast lures. Very Happy
I've been planning on using small umbrella rigs to troll for stripers in the river (in spring) and pike in lakes. I already have the riggs, just haven't had the time to try them yet. Motor trouble now, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walleye keep talking to me. They're saying, "We want nightcrawlers! We want nightcrawlers!" Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim,,, that technique is OLD,,, thats a striper rig,, you must troll those,, You cannot troll in BASS tournys,, you can cast them,, but try casting that and reeling it in a few times,,Hey Phil,, I will show you walleye on a jitterbug,,secret lake Wink
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
The walleye keep talking to me. They're saying, "We want nightcrawlers! We want nightcrawlers!" Laughing

Hi Phil Razz

LOL Laughing

SeaDog1
slim2043

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flippy I've fished umbrella rigs before but the guys website shows people casting those rigs on one rod. But casting those all day would definitely get old and tiring real quick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: