CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Charters
Viewing Topic: Choosing a Charter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Choosing a Charter Reply with quote

For those looking to book a charter, especially for the first time, keep in mind a few things. I've fished far too many charters to count, from Mexico to Mass and everywhere in between. Most have been excellent, some OK, and one or two downright diabolical. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and check them out.

1) First and foremost you Captain should be a licensed captain, not just a guy who calls himself that, and he/she should be running a licensed charter service in the state or waters you are fishing. I get asked all the time if I'll take folks out for a cash "charter," and the answer is no. I don't want to lose my boat, house and everything else I own if something should go wrong. Licensed captains pay a lot of expenses to run their businesses, and under the table operations screw them. You captain/guide should have liability insurance. ASK these things. They are simple questions and the answers should be the same. THEY SHOULD HAVE THE DOCUMENTATION ON THEIR BOATS.

2) CHEAPEST ISN"T NECESSARILY THE BEST. Avoid the weekend warrior captains. Ask for references or research online. Nothing equals time on the water.

3) You captain should be knowledgeable and listen to what you are interested in and work to put together a plan. I look to learn from these guys every time I go out. There are some out there who could care less about tides, whats biting when, etc. They want to leave at x, drift the Race, and get back at y regardless. I can go on a party boat for that.

4) He should like being out there and get pumped when clients catch big fish. Some of the best guys I've gone out with share knowledge, tell great stories, and will tell you that the biggest rush for them is hooking people up with the target species. I went out for ten hours in the Keys with a guy who did nothing but bitch about the weather. 4-10 hours on a boat with a guy that acts like he's having about as much fun as working a production line makes for a long trip.

5) Thinks "out of the box" and will change up the game plan on a slow day. Sometimes the fish don't seem to bite but a good captain will at least try a bit of everything. There are days when everyone gets skunked, but you know when a guy has busted his ass trying to get you on the fish, and that's a guy I will fish with again.

6) Big for me - wants to preserve the sport. Is ethical in methods and works to preserve the stocks. Believe it or not, I hate to eat fish, so I catch and release unless I want a few fillets for friends. Perhaps my coolest fishing moment was at the end of landing my one and only marlin, brought it to the side of the boat to snap a few pics, revived it and then cut it loose. The fish and I were spent, and that thing just glided back down into deep water.

Hope this helps someone looking to charter. Feel free to ask for suggestions or recommendations.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
CaptETrumpold

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Information, Thanks for posting!
Mjsanta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: New angler question Reply with quote

Im new so wonder if theres a charter that will do rivers close to shore im not trying to catch huge fish?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of access to the rivers for shore fishing. Right now, salt water fishing for blues, porgies etc. is good, as well as cats at night from the banks of the CT. Party boats like the Blackhawk run out in the sound and are good for getting your feet wet. Local ponds will give up plenty of panfish and bass, even in this hot weather. I'm not sure who's guiding on the rivers right now. There's a lot of how to on the old posts in here. It all depends on where and what you want to fish for.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Charters All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: