CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Circle hooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiehug20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Circle hooks Reply with quote

Made my first trip out to LIS today. Launched in Clinton and ran into the bass less that 2 miles from take off. Caught several 30s and lost a few, including a monster. I started fishing circle hooks last year and have had good success with hook placement. After speaking with some other people who use them I came to the conclusion that I still need to set the hook. It seems like I am still losing a few everytime I go out. Just wondering if anyone is using these hooks, and how they are setting them?
tiehug20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I'm using eels, line line, or chunking
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design of a circle hook relies on the fish being turned sideways in relation to the line. If you set them and the fish is facing you at the moment the hook reaches it's mouth, it will miss. If your line is tight and the fish is swimming, the hook will find the side of the mouth without a set, unless he swimming backwards.
You can probably set an offset circle with mixed results but can just as easily gut hook with them.
You may be missing large fish if your hooks are small as the gap between the point and the shank is reduced on a circle hook. For bass or blues an 8/0 would not be too large. Measure and compare hook gap and try a few sizes.
GL
SD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job. Wish I was out today. Water is clearing nicely. The circle is designed to roll and catch in the corner of the jaw. If you try and set before the hook naturally sets, you will pull it. Once you see you rod go, wait until you feel the fish pull. Your not going for the sudden, Bassmaster hookset. Put a good hard, steady pull to make sure that hook bites all the way through. USE SHARP HOOKS! I use them on all my live bait from stripers to tunas, as well as with some Hogy soft plastics. Hookup ratios are great. Just be patient, as the fish isn't going to gut hook itself.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An octopus circle hook is less likely to gut hook a fish, because the point is bent inward. It usually only catches when it's drawn over the lip of a fish. For largemouth and smallmouth bass, I particularly like Number 4 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks. The other day, I hooked every single one of more than a dozen fish in the upper lip or corner of the mouth. I use a fairly gentle hookset with a wacky rig when I feel the fish pick up the lure and almost never gut hook any. I've found that I can feel the bite with fluorocarbon fishing line even when there's slack in the line. With braid, I have to watch the line on the surface of the water to detect the bite when there's slack in it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always such good info on this site. Thanks guys! What size hooks do you recommend for stripers? I usual fish with bunker chunks.
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogfishhead on Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishguy81 wrote:
Always such good info on this site. Thanks guys! What size hooks do you recommend for stripers? I usual fish with bunker chunks.

If you're using chunk bait then an eight to ten/0 hook is a good size to use, whether your're using a circle or octopus hook that is a good choice. Stripers, especially keeper size ones, have a relatively large mouth and a hook with a wider space between the point and shank should improve more hook-sets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circle hook for stripers? 10/0 at least !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Circle hooks Reply with quote

I was an early convert to circle hooks and use them for all my saltwater. I have a much higher hook-up percentage with them and I don't set the hook. Wait till the line goes tight and start reeling. The hook sets itself especially when the boat is being pulled by tide.

Gamakatsu octopus circle or Owner Mutu Light Circle hooks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: