CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: cold weather bassin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chumley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: cold weather bassin Reply with quote

ok guys how about some tips for cold weather/water bassin
Nickp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing under 10fow- jerkbait- try and find weed edges/lively weeds- play around with the pauses till you catch fish. Grub can be deadly.

Over 10fow- dropshot/carolina rig/silver buddy/grub.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chumley - good post!

NickP - What's better... over 10fow, or 10fow and below...?
also how do you attack those ponds that might not even hit 10 fow...

I need to get out there ASAP its been way too long...
Probably tomarrow... got the day off...

Just one more cast...

Last edited by admin on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyman you wanna hit it tomarrow with some jerkbaits? I got my Rapala Xraps ready!

Just one more cast...
chumley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick thanks for your reply. nobody else have any tips i see alot of people looked at this post . am i the only person that doesnt know cold water tricks or only person who learned to share in 2nd grade. LOLl
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chumley, try throwing a 3/4 or 1oz. rattle trap over submerged weed beds, reel just fast enough to keep your rattle trap ticking the tops of the weeds. Sometimes the bass sit in the tops of the weeds and come up to ambush prey, if they are there they will smash it, so hold on tight. This technique is especially good with a little wind.

Also don't forget about vertical jigging a silver buddy near deep outside weed edges, or near deep rock piles, also near deep brushpiles.

Carolina rig the same deep area's with your favorite soft plastic, I like to c rig a yum Houdini Shad. Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those X-raps are trash, same with a husky jerk. its like 1 out of 3 actually suspends right. Rapala's quality control has gone WAY down over the years. There baits used to hold together, now the wood is so cheap and shitty that the bills break off and the bodies are torn to pieces by a few fish.

Do yourself a favor and fish smithwick rogues, luckycraft pointers, or the megabass stuff. That jerkbait shouldnt sink or float, its a big help with the nice stuff if your using a long pause (9 times out of 10) Its a hard bait to build confidence in and the pause can drive you nuts.

On the 10fow thing. If your targeting largies in water deeper then 10fow, I dont like to, it can be VERY difficult locating the fish let alone convincing them to bit. I wont fish for them that deep this time of year.

Smallies on the other hand can be easy pickings this time of year in deeper water with a grub/hair jig/tube/silverbuddy.

By fishing waters less then 10 feet I get rid of the deep water factor and I can find fish alot easier with the use of a jerkbait. If im fishing a "puddle" (less then 5fow) il toss a manns minus 1 alot, focus on fishing the mini crankbaits this time of year in the late hours of the day. A soft jerkbait like a houdini shad can do damage if fished at a snails pace. Fish in these small puddles will almost always relate to cover, the smallest branch can often hold fish and a jig can come into play.

Stay with it, alot of the time by-catches like pickerel/crappie/ and perch make the day go by alot faster.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick - Thanks man... great Thread and great info!
You really are on your way!

Just one more cast...
chumley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys your tips will be put to use very soon
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a rattling rogue for sale in the classified section Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after the past few days my old crome&red beat to hell rattle trap seems to be the lure of choice ill go out and buy 20 new ones in 10 different colors and never catch a fish on them agian. lmao!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: